• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chry 8.25 carrier bearing question

zthang43

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have set up gears in a Chrysler 8.25:
I'm in the process of installing 4.56's in my 29 spline 8.25. I bought the D30/8.25 gear combo from Rusty's ($400 and they are Superior gears and Timken bearings!).
My question is about the carrier bearings. The bearing kit that came with the gears has 6 bearings. 2 are for the pinion gear, and 2 more are the same as my carrier bearings, but the last 2 don't seem to match up with anything in my axle. They look just like my carrier bearings, but the ID is slightly smaller.
Did 27 spline 8.25's have different carrier bearings than the 29 spline version? If that is the case, then the kit probably came with bearings for both versions; I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

don't suppose they could be the axle shaft bearings that go in the end of the axle tube??? the race should be pressed into the end of the axle tubes and the bearing should be pressed onto the axle shafts.

i think. at least thats how my 44 is setup.

scorpio_vette said:
don't suppose they could be the axle shaft bearings that go in the end of the axle tube??? the race should be pressed into the end of the axle tubes and the bearing should be pressed onto the axle shafts.

i think. at least thats how my 44 is setup.

No. The axle shaft bearings dont get pressed onto the axles on c-clip axles, and don't come in a master install kit.

cal said:
No. The axle shaft bearings dont get pressed onto the axles on c-clip axles, and don't come in a master install kit.

ok. now i know. so what's with the little bearing sitting at the end of the axle tube on the dana35??? does the axle just "lay" in the center of the bearing??? and is that similar to the 8.25, or completely different???

hey i got an idea. zthang43: there should be a part number on the timken bearing. post that part number here and i'll look it up for you. that should tell us what it's for.

scorpio_vette said:
ok. now i know. so what's with the little bearing sitting at the end of the axle tube on the dana35??? does the axle just "lay" in the center of the bearing??? and is that similar to the 8.25, or completely different???

My only dana 35 was the non c-clip version, so I couldnt really tell you. Maybe Rawbrown will find this thread and speak up..

The bigger ones are not setup bearings with the slightly smaller ones being the actual bearings are they?

They usually aren't included in a MI kit either though.

Thinking about it, I seem to remember there being extra bearings in my 8.25 master install kit we didnt use. I'm guessing they are 27 vs 29 spline.

I'll get the bearing part number and post that tonight.

No, one set is not setup bearings.

And no, they are not the outer axle bearings. The outer axle bearings use straight roller bearings that ride directly on the axle. The extra bearings I have are tapered bearings with a bearing race (just like the carrier bearings).

If your refering to the 8.25 kit. there are 2 versions of the 8.25 axle. the difference being the carrier bearings I think. Companies like Rusty's will do a Master kit that contains both versions because... survey says... "its cheaper". yup. its cheaper to have a universal kit and throw away the leftovers than to carry 2 seperate kits.. .go figure.
let me guess, the extra 2 bearings are LM102949 and LM102910
those are for the 70-75' era 8.25's.

Rawbrown, those are the part numbers on the bearings. Thanks for confirming that for me.

Oh and thanks for the quick service on the D30 carrier you sent me as well.

Back