• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Front Track Bar

jeephick85

NAXJA Forum User
HEllo ALL, i was just wondering what you guys think about making a homemade track bar. basically i wanted to use a 1 1/4 steel tube that is 1/4 inch thick and fill it up with another rod inside to strenghten it. my major wonder is will heim joints be strong enough to mount to the front axle and the frame bracket on the top. WIll it work????? Jay

You won't need to "fill it up."

Heims will work fine.

Howdy, YOu say i dont need to fill it up, but wouldnt it just be stronger. i also want to do a over the knuckle setup which is pretty easy but that to i'd like to fill the tube up and make it as tuff as possible. any better ideas??? let me know!. Jay

jeephick85 said:
Howdy, YOu say i dont need to fill it up, but wouldnt it just be stronger. i also want to do a over the knuckle setup which is pretty easy but that to i'd like to fill the tube up and make it as tuff as possible. any better ideas??? let me know!. Jay

You can if you want, but 1 1/4 x 1/4 wall tubing is plenty strong.

Also, if you plan to bend it, you will have trouble if it is sleeved stuff.

1.25" dia. 1/4" wall is good for a trackbar, in fact when i cut up an old rubicon express bar it was even thinner around 1/8".

QA-1 has some of the best heims.

If you can get 1.5" OD 1/4" wall, there are some weld in bungs that slide into the 1" ID allowing you to thread in your heims. (polyperformance and poisonspyder to name a few sources)

thanks for the brand names. i cant find shit here in the city, all french people dont know what im talkin bout when i call. im gonna keep tryin anround. any specific type if metal tubing i should use?
thanks jay

yeah i wouldn't worry about sleeving it. and heims will work, but get really good ones, i would also suggest putting polyurethane at one end of it. i have heims at both ends and i can just generally feel the road more than i want to, but then again it's a big jeep so who cares. another thing to worry about is the mounts. You have to either change the existing frame side bracket or build a new one, and if you have a good place to get steel i would suggest just building a new one. For the axle side, if you use the stock mount im pretty sure you'll have to have a bend to clear the pumpkin. If you build a new mount on top the axle you can use a straight bar. no matter how you do it just remember to keep the bar and draglink parallel

oh yeah, use DOM(seamless) tubing

You could always start off with a stock track bar (solid stock with the proper bends), then:
*cut off the TRE
*weld on a heim or JJ
*use either the RE or TNT bracket frame-side
*heat it up and put a slight bend to clear the stock axle bracket at lifted height
*chop it somewhere in the middle and thread both ends, then put a 1/4" thick piece of split threaded tube with clamps over it to make it adjustable length.

Just a thought.

Back