• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Not Working Right...

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ 4.0 AW4

I had a problem on the way home tonight.. When I would come to a stop it would slow down fine from any speed down to about 5 mph... Then the brakes just would stop working for a brief second then they started to catch... Then it was like the brakes were turning on and off really fast, julting the jeep.. Its really hard to explain.. What would cause it so slow great from any speed but once it hits arround 5mph it slows by the brakes catching on and off...

Then I wanted to test them out so I went a hill (that noone was arround) so I stopped it on the hill with no problem. Then I let off the brake coasted to about 5mph and SLAMMED the brake and the brakes did the on off thing bringing it to a julting hault...

What would be causing this??? I hope this is an easy fix because everything seems to be breaking at the same time and I am ready to scrap this XJ....

Chris

Ok I was testing it out this morning...

If I would drive at any speed and SLAM the brakes, pedal to the floor.. The jeep wouldnt stop like normal, it was all julty...Now the brakes are only about 6 months old, so that cant be the problem.

Anyone?

why don't people ever just take their stuff apart and look at it and see if they can diagnose or fix the problem before they come on here asking questions? 70% of what i've learned about my jeep is from just getting in there and doing it.

tompatjr said:
Does it have ABS? Does the pedal stay firm? I'd say we need a little better description.

Yes it has ABS.. the pedal stays firm the whole time... It feels like the brakes are just catching and releasing a couple times a second.

XgeekstarX said:
why don't people ever just take their stuff apart and look at it and see if they can diagnose or fix the problem before they come on here asking questions? 70% of what i've learned about my jeep is from just getting in there and doing it.

I dont know what to look for, I dont know anything about brake systems... The fluid is still full so that about all I know about brake systems... Oh and I know how to change rotors and pads...

jolting sounds like the ABS system. Perhaps there's something causing the tone rings to misrepresent the speed of the wheels, or something else is faulty.
I would pull the fuse to the ABS system and disable it, then go slam on the brakes and see what happens. if it works properly with the ABS disabled then you've narrowed it down.

I would start by bleeding each caliper and wheel cylinder.

So you had the brakes done 6 mo ago? What was done specifically?

Does it feel like the front or rear, both, passanger and driver side that are locking befor a stop?

Does it happen in reverse?

When the brakes are hot, or only when you first start driving?

Mine used to catch when it was damp outside. I took the rear drums off and ground off a 3/16" lip whear the shoes hadn't worn down the drum. Then it was Ok.

If you have patience, tools and time you can do the rear's also. Take a few pictures with a digital camera befor you start removing springs so you can double check the assembly order. If you do the rears change the wheel cilinders also. they are cheep and it sucks to take the drums apart to change a cylinder when your shoes and drums are ok. Make sure the cylinders are correct part. look closely from all directions! Oriley's always gives me the correct part # but the sh1t don't fit half the time.
It is easy once you figure out how to use the spring tool.
The chlorinated brake cleaner spray (with dichlormethane aka methelene chloride) is will remove paint if a painted surface is kept wet to long.

IntrepidXJ said:
that's what ABS does

yeh but it also stoppes the truck...mine is julting and not stopping that fast... i know how ABS feels and this is not it.. This is the brakes not stopping the car in time... I can seem myself wreching if I need to stop fast...

Back