• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help w/ 96+ 242 and SYE

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
So I been reading about front shafts and 242 SYEs. Talked to TW, AA, Currie, MIT. Been reading posts about HD SYE. So I could spend $500 for TW shaft and SYE, or RE H-n-T. Here is my deal. 1) I'm broke! Putting new axle in and want to do this cheap. Like the idea of setting up rear to run a front shaft and carry a spare. 2) TW talks about how the RE will wobble and come loose.

So there is no good HnT or home made one any better than RE? Now this might be the stupidest thing I've asked, but why can't you just weld the RE so it doesn't wobble or come loose? Even just tack it. You could grind it if you needed it off. Will the weld itself weaken the shaft from the heat? What about sleeving the shaft and using a seal for a HD 231 shaft. So you could but it to the bearing like TW. So help me out. What else can be done to make it stronger, more permanent?

Seriously, nobody? Ok I'll answer one of my own questions. Since I have never heard of welding your shaft, there is probably a reason for that, and that is probably a dumb question.

Let me try to be more specific. Everything I have read has been of older 242s and 231s. Not late model 242. I have a 2000 by the way. TW is just a glorified HnT with a smaller output shaft. (by a little, how else does he recut the splines) Is there any way to take the basic HnT SYE and make it any stronger than the standard RE HnT? I'm not being cheap. I would spend a little more time and money for a better setup. I am also willing to be a Guinnea pig since nobody seems to have done this with a newer 242. Come on, please. I'm sure the horse can take afew more beatings!

Back