• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering?

emtpiston

NAXJA Forum User
this may sound stupid but i just bought a 85 xj to go play with. did a tune up on it and its running great but the belts are worn and the power steering belt crumbled after a drive around the block. the other belt was loose too. i have new belts and the problem is how the heck do you pivot the power steering pump to install the new belt. short of undoing every bolt i'm at a loss. HELP!

emtpiston said:
this may sound stupid but i just bought a 85 xj to go play with. did a tune up on it and its running great but the belts are worn and the power steering belt crumbled after a drive around the block. the other belt was loose too. i have new belts and the problem is how the heck do you pivot the power steering pump to install the new belt. short of undoing every bolt i'm at a loss. HELP!

Not sure how the 85 is but my 89 with a 4.0 you needed to loosen all the bolts on the powersteering pump and then loosen the tensioner.

all belts work on a tension system like pioneer said. You need to release the tension to the belt for removal. I would pickup a Haynes repair manual just for your daily qs that popup. Mines been great to me and is deffinatly a good investment.

btw welcome to NAXJA. Hope to see that name in red ASAP :D

If your 85 is anything like mine (2.8l) then you should need to loosen a pivot bolt on the left front of the pump, then there is a nut on the backside of the the pump, its hard to see but its there. This should allow the pump to move enough to tension the belt.

helix said:
all belts work on a tension system like pioneer said. You need to release the tension to the belt for removal. I would pickup a Haynes repair manual just for your daily qs that popup. Mines been great to me and is deffinatly a good investment.

I've got one I'll sell you for 5.00.....

got it figured out, there were three bolts i had to break loose in order to get it to pivot. the 2.5l doesn't have a serpentine belt so there is no tensioner. all the bolt are really rusted so it took a while. the xj had been sitting for about 5 years, put a new battery in it and did a tune up, thing runs like a top now.

thanks for the imput all!

Back