• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

paint booth?

fatguy85

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to paint my 93 xj two door in my garage. i just wanted to see if any of you have info on paint to use or a ventilation idea. thanks for any info

1)garage is 3 car
2)booth is already prepared/hung

i would set up a few fans at one end blowing out and then try to find some large size filtering material to put on the other end of the booth. seal the whole thing off, turn on the fans and paint. you want fresh air entering without the dust that u cause by circulating air as well as the ability to carry away air with paint particulate in it.

First off, wrong time of year, you need 70F or above and if you bring in fresh air from outside it won't be anywhere near that so you are going to need one heck of blower heater. Couple six pairs of hot lights would not hurt either to heat up the spray surface. Try to get the concrete floor as warm as possible so that it will radiate heat.
You will also need some panel filters like you use in hot air home central systems to prefilter the air. You should spray the floor down with a light misting of water to keep dust down. Couple of window fans, both on exhaust, pull the clean air in thru the filters. Tape/seal all the other cracks including the cracks on the panels on the garage doors.
Also one good paint quality respirator rated for the paint you will be shooting. Now a days with whats in the new paints and the booths that are required to shoot them I'd look at some kind of moon suit or pressurized head piece for the extreme end, a dual filter full face respirator at the cutting it close end..
Yea, I know, I'm cautious but then I've been around a while and seen some of the people I knew that did not think about it, heck I was one, working part time at the local gas station, up to my elbows in gasoline and solvents for hours never even thinking about what I was absorbing from those crudded up motors let alone breathing... and if you think I'm kidding read the warning labels on Dupont Imron or the camo paint the military uses, deadly stuff.
Also the garage, are there bedrooms over it ? People living up there, the fumes, volitiles and outgassing will for sure seep thru the floor above..

Have you considered having your local vo tech do the shooting, lot of them will do it for free or just for the materials.

Last edited:
I've done it both ways, inside and outside. My preference is outside. I have a gasoline driven compressor. I find a large open parking lot, wet down a large area and spray it early in the morning (before many of the bugs wake up). It's pretty much a summer only technique (around here). No wind is also a plus. I also use a fast hardener, the hardener can be adjusted some to compensate for slightly low spraying temperatures.
X2 on reading the labels on your paint, some of them will really mess you up. Military Camo paint has been mentioned, I have friend who has something that looks like Leprosy ( for years) from spraying that paint for the military. It isn't cancer, but some sort of permanent chemical burn. He sprayed it every a day for an extended period, but who really knows what the exact exposure levels are for a specific person.

That is no lie on the Military paint. CARC (Chemical Agent Resistive Coating) paint is a pain to work with. It should be CARCinogen paint since it will cause cancer. You are supposed to be in a full covering with boot covers and rubber gloves, and a full face respirator. That paint is fairly durable, but fades fast.

I would agree with taking it to the local Vo Tech and having them do it.

lots of good info here. make sure you have fresh air. you don't want to blow yourself up. ps we have spent nearly a hundred thousnad dollars maintaining a simple, small, legal finishing booth in my shop over only ten years.

esrasmu2001 said:
That is no lie on the Military paint. CARC (Chemical Agent Resistive Coating) paint is a pain to work with. It should be CARCinogen paint since it will cause cancer. You are supposed to be in a full covering with boot covers and rubber gloves, and a full face respirator. That paint is fairly durable, but fades fast.

I would agree with taking it to the local Vo Tech and having them do it.

The NJ National Guard and other units all get their vehicles painted at the support center in Bordentown NJ. Those guys work in moon suits and are only allowed to spray with the suits 10 hours a month if that gives you any idea how nasty the carc paint is...when we first got the blazers they were factory OD, we had to cycle them down there over about a 3 month period which is the only reason I know..

Back