• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clifford X-Pipe?

That would only work on a V configured motor. It could be used on an Inline motor but would be a lot of work for not a lot of gain. It helps to ballence one bank of cylinders with the other and help with scavaging the spent exhaust gases which helps "make" torque.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
That would only work on a V configured motor. It could be used on an Inline motor but would be a lot of work for not a lot of gain. It helps to ballence one bank of cylinders with the other and help with scavaging the spent exhaust gases which helps "make" torque.

AARON

I can see how that would work, but this is an I-6 site, Chev, Ford and Jeep I-6 and some I-4 engines. This one specifically came from the Jeep I-6 page.

Anyway....

Clifford's header is a dual output header for the I-6

A pair of 2 inch pipes are able to easily outflow a single 2 1/2 if it were practical for our application. Unfortunately it would give twice as many pipes to hang on rocks etc. The smaller tubes would probably scavenge better and would tuck a little higher out of the way though. I don't know how to deal with the dual cat/O2 sensor situation either. It has caused me to lose some sleep though.

I'm considering ditching the stock computer for a Megasquirt setup.

5-90, is there a way to simulate duals on the dyno program?

Randy

MrShoeBoy said:

AARON

Not quite. If you have the Clifford dual outlet header and a true dual exhaust system, the X-pipe would fit where the two downpipes merge and you'd have a pipe coming from the back of each limb of the X-pipe. Each of these pipes would run to a cat, muffler, and tailpipe. The problem is finding the space to run a dual exhaust system and in my mind, a single 2.5" system creates very little backpressure even behind a stroker and works very well anyway.
A dual system would be ideal behind an engine that's built for much higher revs than the 5250rpm that the 4.0 (or stroker) is limited to.

SCW said:
Here's a link to the Clifford X-Pipe, they say "add torque the easy way".

http://cliffordperformance.net/Merc...tore_Code=CP&Product_Code=193&Category_Code=J

My questions-
where on the exhaust system would you put this, and how does it "make" torque?

Those Clifford guys are crazy! I called them about a header once. The nut I talked to kept telling me about the dual outlet header, when I wanted a single outlet. He also kept ranting about how they where getting huge HP and torque, with thier EFI kit. I'm talking big numbers, for a 4.0L six, like 450+ft/lb torque and can't remember the HP. So I kindly said I'd think about it and hung up. Maybe I just called on a bad day.

tompatjr said:
Those Clifford guys are crazy! ...like 450+ft/lb torque and can't remember the HP.
They're not crazy, they're just into extreme high HP at extreme high RPMs. This is not the kind of engine that anyone in their right mind would take off-road, unless it was for something like desert racing. In that situation the dual exhaust and cross-over pipe could be very beneficial. Not really useful for most "normal" Jeeps, though.

Dr. Dyno said:
Not quite. If you have the Clifford dual outlet header and a true dual exhaust system, the X-pipe would fit where the two downpipes merge and you'd have a pipe coming from the back of each limb of the X-pipe. Each of these pipes would run to a cat, muffler, and tailpipe. The problem is finding the space to run a dual exhaust system and in my mind, a single 2.5" system creates very little backpressure even behind a stroker and works very well anyway.
A dual system would be ideal behind an engine that's built for much higher revs than the 5250rpm that the 4.0 (or stroker) is limited to.

Hmm, interesting, my 4.0 (actually 4.6) is not limited to 5250......must be another shortcoming of the HO system........ :D

dmillion said:
They're not crazy, they're just into extreme high HP at extreme high RPMs. This is not the kind of engine that anyone in their right mind would take off-road, unless it was for something like desert racing. In that situation the dual exhaust and cross-over pipe could be very beneficial. Not really useful for most "normal" Jeeps, though.

Actually the reason I am looking at the Clifford pipe is because it is best suited of all the headers I have seen thus far for LOW RPM applications. Low torque band requires longer primaries and shorter collectors. For an I-6 application with rev limit of 5000RPM, 36" primaries are best, nobody comes anywhere CLOSE to that, the Borla seems only slightly better than the stock header, more tuned for high RPM and hosepower rather than torque.

I'm considering their product just because it's the longest primaries I've found and I'd like to keep the torque as low in the RPM range as possible, I don't know that I've ever even hit 4000RPM in my Jeep, and don't know that I ever will.

SCW said:
Actually the reason I am looking at the Clifford pipe is because it is best suited of all the headers I have seen thus far for LOW RPM applications. Low torque band requires longer primaries and shorter collectors. For an I-6 application with rev limit of 5000RPM, 36" primaries are best, nobody comes anywhere CLOSE to that, the Borla seems only slightly better than the stock header, more tuned for high RPM and hosepower rather than torque.

I'm considering their product just because it's the longest primaries I've found and I'd like to keep the torque as low in the RPM range as possible, I don't know that I've ever even hit 4000RPM in my Jeep, and don't know that I ever will.

You're missing out on all the fun that is to be had at 6,000 RPM+. The 4.0 is an undersquare motor, larger bore than stroke, and it loves to rev, with the right equipment.

You are correct on primary length, though. Have you checked out the Mike Leech (sp?) header? I recall those had a long set of primaries.

Randy_66 said:
A pair of 2 inch pipes are able to easily outflow a single 2 1/2 if it were practical for our application. Unfortunately it would give twice as many pipes to hang on rocks etc. The smaller tubes would probably scavenge better and would tuck a little higher out of the way though. I don't know how to deal with the dual cat/O2 sensor situation either. It has caused me to lose some sleep though.

I'm considering ditching the stock computer for a Megasquirt setup.

5-90, is there a way to simulate duals on the dyno program?

Randy

I'd have to check, but I'm inclined to think that DD2000 just has a pulldown for exhaust selection, and no real "options" to configure it (but I could be wrong - it's been known to happen...)

I'm sure you could sort out the advantage of sing vs dual with a more comprehensive programme - like those by Dynomation - but DD2000 is more of an "entry-level" software package meant for the light engine builder, and not a full-on racing team or engineering department...

5-90

Back