• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MT Treadlife

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im looking at going from 31s to 33s shortly, and have BFG ATs now. Love em and will have no problem with going to them again in 33. My main concern is treadlife. I know the MTs would be a better chioce for my offroad fun, mostly muddy, wet trails. But my XJ is my 500+ mile per week DD. Therefore, my main concern is treadlife. How many miles do those of you that run these tires usually see out of them before they aren't trailworthy?

I am at around 30k on my BFG MT 33's. The truck is a daily driver and the tires have a ton of tread left on them. Much more than I had expected. They will give you more road noise than the AT's, but I think that they are a very good tire. I will stick to MT's for my next set. I highly recomend them.

I have had both the BFG AT and MT and both have great treadware. I now run the dunlop mud rovers, which have identical tread patterns as the MT, but I'm not getting nearly as good wear out of them, so I'll be going back to BFG as soon as they kick the can.

I have about 7000 on mine. Not a lot, but they still have the little rubber deals ( dont know what they are called ) on the side.

BFG mt's get about as good of a tread life of any mt tire, but won't be as good as most at's or regular street tires. i have heard of guys getting 40k out of mt's but have not seen it personally. weight of car, driving style, size of tire and conditions will have a big effect also.

It's mostly 45-60 mph traffic 110+ miles a day 5 days a week, with the occasional offroad stop after work or on weekends. Mostly mud and dirt, woods trails, almost never rocks. Im looking at 33x10.5r15s with 4.56 gearing. Obviously at 150 bucks a tire im gonna avoid to many brake stands. Will the MTs get much worse gas mileage than ATs of the same exact size?

I currently have 33x12.50's BFG MT's with stock 3.55 gears. I see around 14-15 mpg. Sometimes on the highway if I stay around 65 I can get 17 mpg. The two styles of tires weigh about the same so I would think the mpg would be similiar.

Check out the Toyo M/T.

Supposed to have better road manners.

I've had two sets of BFG MT's, one on an isuzu pickup, and one on my XJ -- better than 60K out of both of them. I think the rubber compound combined with the relatively light weight of a jeep makes them last forever. I've had a buddy with a full size see only 30K in the same conditions...

98XJSport said:
It's mostly 45-60 mph traffic 110+ miles a day 5 days a week. Will the MTs get much worse gas mileage than ATs of the same exact size?

Same as my commute...I ran my XJ up and down I-5 for about 4 years and ran 32/11.50-15 MTs almost the whole time. I had two sets, each giving me about 60k miles. I ran my rig more or less unloaded, only adding gear for weekend trips. I also ran my tires pressure at about 40 psi. Treadwear was even, though I wasn't really very religious about rotation.

They work OK in the rain, are fine on dry pavement, are not terribly loud. As for fuel economy, you can generally expect a change if you're going to bigger tires because you've likely increased your vehicle height. You're also adding some weight, wind drag, etc. Keeping the pressure monitored and your foot off the skiny pedal will make the biggest difference.

I'm running 33's now and I'm having similar results with overall tire life. This makes my 4th set of BFGs in 3 different sizes and I've been impressed.

Are the dunlop mt that bad on road? I might buy some but if they do not last that long than i will go bfg mt as well.

I think the toyo mt does not come any smaller than a 35" tire.

I'm on set #3 of 33/12.50/15 BFG MTs. The first 2 sets lasted between 42-45,000 miles each. The current set has about 35,000 on them and I figure I'll have to replace in the next year or so depending on how much I drive it. Mostly freeway driving on a lifted F-150.

I've had 31's 32's and now 35's. The 32's went 35,000 before I sold it. They were not down to 50% useable tread.

You really need to keep them balanced. Also the Allignment and Rotations are key. My 35's are at 27 PSI or less to get an even contact pattern on 8" wheels.....rambling...

I have gotten 35K out of my 31's so far and there is about 30% tread left on them. I also do alot of highway miles driving back home from college. The tires are great. Looking at getting 33's when these wear out.

Both 33"

First set = 55K, the guy I sold them to is still running them nearly 20K later. They are bald.

Second set = 60K and look grea. I don't drive it everyday anymore,so they will last forever.

They are great tires, but if it is a daily driver, Goodyear MTRs are better snow/wet traction, and Bridgestone dueler A/Ts are a better all round tire. BFG ATs are much better for the daily driver than BFG MT.

I just measured mine today while rotating. 65k on mine so far. New they have 20/32's right now I'm at 10/32's. Theoretically I'm at the 50% mark. One might say I can get 130,000 miles out of my set. Probably not. Till about 6 months ago, my xj was my daily driver. I have 31's on it and my commute is 130 miles round trip 5 days a week. I have since smartened up and bought a Protege for a DD with about 35mpg. Anyway, I love the tires. And I wheel them bimonthly at 8psi.

Back