• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Code???

mmmkay325

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some issues with my jeep dying randomly on the trail and not wanting to fire until some 20-30mins later. On the search for finding out why it won't start, when it gets spark and fuel, I'm currently gonna switch the CKS out. Went to advance to pick up the CKS and decided to check to see if i'm throwing any codes to help diaginos my problem. When I scanned it w/ there tool this came back:

Codes

ENG: 11/-----
IGN Reference
Signal

So now i'm wanting to know what that code is/means? Tried the search and got nothing

Thanks guys

mmmm.....interesting, I guess I should have read my Haynes first...sorry, got over excited. Haynes is tellin me that Code 11 is the NO CRANK REFERENCE SIGNAL TO THE COMPUTER. And to replace crankshaft sensor. Interesting, I guess if checked the code some 10wheeling trips ago when this first started I may have found my solution quicker. Well my hopes are that this will fix my problem. If anyone has experienced this before and throw the same code and replacing the CKS fixed it let me know. The XJ needs some good Karma before I go switch it out so to end all my worries. It's kinda a bummer because I never got a check eng light to make me think to scan the darn thing....but oh well. Live and learn

What year XJ? With and ODBII, code 11 means:
- No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad Hall effect) OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; OR loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Can cause the engine to stop working entirely with no limp-home mode.

I was having similar issues and then one day it didn't start at all, just cranked and cranked. $80 and a CPS later, problem fixed.

Good Luck.

I had the same problem. I would be driving down the road and it would randomly shut off. I took it to some lame mechanic to hav it fixed and they knew nothing and charged me to replace some vacuum hoses. Then i took it to the jeep dealer and they knew right away that it was the crankshaft positioning sensor. I had them fix it because i had no idea what i was doing with it. Now it runs fine never had that problem again.

Well, just replaced the CKS today....ewwww weee boy was that fun tryin' to get too. Felt like I had to break my arm in 3 places just to get access to it. Well anyways the new one is on there and didn't take all that long to replace so hopefully that problem will be fixed now.

Back