• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spicer 18?

dirtdogger17

NAXJA Forum User
hey i saw an article saying nothing but great things about the spicer 18 t-case..i have a 95 xj with an aw4 and an np231..im lookin at the porc sye kit but im thinkin why not look at swappin a stronger t-case in there before i dump a ton of cash into my np231..is there even a way to bolt up a spicer 18 to an aw4?..and how much would that cost (the major question)..thanks

dirtdogger17 said:
hey i saw an article saying nothing but great things about the spicer 18 t-case..i have a 95 xj with an aw4 and an np231..im lookin at the porc sye kit but im thinkin why not look at swappin a stronger t-case in there before i dump a ton of cash into my np231..is there even a way to bolt up a spicer 18 to an aw4?..and how much would that cost (the major question)..thanks

i thought people didnt like the 18 and swaped 20's in their place...

An easier solution is a Dana300 - but much more costly...

acording to that write up -
it would be passenger side drop = which im guessing your current front axle isnt.

Both outputs are offset to the passenger side. It is a fine t-case within it's limits. Output shafts are the weak link, as they are course 10 spline units.

I have rebuilt about 5 of these, and all have been 30-40 year old units that have done admirably duty.

That said, I would not recommend it for a modern 4 wheel drive vehicle with a (relatively) powerful motor. Buy an Atlas, you'll be much hapier in the end.

I have a "twin sticked" 18 in my CJ-2A behind a 305 and saginaw 4 speed and it holds up well, especially for a 60 year old case. They are nice because it keeps both of your differentials in line. But I would never go of the hassle to swapping one into an XJ.

89a5b6b4.jpg

96XJCLASSIC said:
I have a "twin sticked" 18 in my CJ-2A

The twin stick is neat.. I upgraded mine to that from the single stick style. Now I have 4 sticks to shift coming out of the floor board in my CJ :yelclap:

dan89XJ said:
The twin stick is neat.. I upgraded mine to that from the single stick style. Now I have 4 sticks to shift coming out of the floor board in my CJ :yelclap:

Sweet. I bet you like that OD.

dan89XJ said:

I've got 4 in my 71 CJ-5. Hopefully, soon, I'll have 5. I've got a PTO in now, and if I can get it from my dad, I'll have my OD again.

If I were swapping axles in a XJ, maybe, but not likely. I love my Dana 18, and the possibilites. A manual OD, a PTO, single or twin stick, 4or5:1 Just don't know if it'd be worth the fabrication need to put into an XJ?

And they do hold up to power well enough. A stock V-6 was 160 HP and 235 lb/ft of torque, which at the time was comparable to quite a few V-8s. Lots of guys run them behind Chevy small blocks with no problems.

Erik

Back