• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor "bed liner" stuff?

Herculiner at AUTOZONE. Use a wire wheel to take everything down and wash it out before you spread on the liner. mines been in for over a year now with two coats.

ajpulley said:
It's not the same as the purple stuff that turns rust into a black, chemically-changed surface, is it?

You refer to the crap that turns iron oxide to zinc oxide? We used that on a Studebaker restoration years ago, the longer it sat the harder it got, the painter were ready to shoot us for ever putting it on. Good stuff if you don't need a finished look. No, it's not POR-15, that has a harder enamel-like shell that can only be defeated by nukes, brakefluid and years of sunlight, afaik.

I'm trying to decide if some of the stick-on rubberized type stuff is better or worse in the long-term than a spray/roll on type applicant. I have NO rust or even worn paint right now, and I'd like to keep it that way, as well as make the cabin a little quieter.

SCW said:
You refer to the crap that turns iron oxide to zinc oxide? We used that on a Studebaker restoration years ago, the longer it sat the harder it got, the painter were ready to shoot us for ever putting it on. Good stuff if you don't need a finished look. No, it's not POR-15, that has a harder enamel-like shell that can only be defeated by nukes, brakefluid and years of sunlight, afaik.

I'm trying to decide if some of the stick-on rubberized type stuff is better or worse in the long-term than a spray/roll on type applicant. I have NO rust or even worn paint right now, and I'd like to keep it that way, as well as make the cabin a little quieter.
Ya, that's the stuff, I think.

When I first came out here from CA, mine didn't have a spot of rust. Now, complete different story. I've used some of that stuff in a spray can, then a coat of black paint, and it works well underneath where exposed to the road salt. Marinas around here use the brushed on stuff. But I don't know squat about painting. So, that's why I asked. Then again, I don't care what the floor pan's finish looks like, as long as I can keep it from rusting further, and protect it as best I can.

Back