• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Brakes

88WoodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to research the upgrading of my brakes with this forum and googling everything under the sun to try and get a good plan together.

I have an 1988 XJ wagoneer limited with the upgraded tow package (Dana 44 rear/ 30 front) and am curious of these two questions:

1. Can the front discs and calipers be used from an 98 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) on a pre 90 XJ? (I know they have different calipers and disc sizes but can they be modded to fit the older XJ)

2. Is the currently accepted model of using a rear disc brake setup off of a ZJ the best upgrade for rear drum to disc conversioin for a 88 XJ with a dana 44 rear?

Thanks for any knowledge you may be able to share as most of the stuff out there is a little vague as to options with these types of upgrades.

I don't want to steer you either way...but speaking for the rear, i have the ZJ disc's but when researching that project...and their are alot of great writeupson it, another common swap is the 8.8 explorer disc's so i would think either would be available....just go with what you find the best deal on.

as for the front....i have an '88, but just ended up going with a late 90's D30 and ditched the vacum disco and the smaller brakes all at once.

Mrburns said:
i have an '88, but just ended up going with a late 90's D30 and ditched the vacum disco and the smaller brakes all at once.
Late 90's Dana 30s have larger brake rotors and calipers?? Might be worth my while to swap the whole axle. Please... continue.

Yeah, i've heard that the CrownVic disc's work really well too, though im not sure what models have them...the V8 cop cars or all CrownVics....

but to AJpulley.....im not saying they DO...but i was under the impression they did...never the less the New 90's one do have a better caliper design with supposed higher braking pressure (how you could test this i do not know)

Mrburns said:
but to AJpulley.....im not saying they DO...but i was under the impression they did...never the less the New 90's one do have a better caliper design with supposed higher braking pressure (how you could test this i do not know)
From searching, all I come up with is they are styled differently, something about the way the rotor, caliper and hub fit. I doubt there's a big difference in braking.

Don't forget to snag a 95-96 XJ naster cylinder and booster to upgrade your old ones. The 95-96 use a dual diaphram booster and the difference is VERY nice. There's a write up on www.madxj.com in the tech section.

In the process right now of the Crown Vic swap. Pulled the caliper mounting brackets, calipers, rotors and soft lines off a '96 Crown Vic. Jeepin.com has a good right up on the process. So far it's been a cake walk. All most done w/ the swap. Have to mount the soft/hard lines and test. Will update. Mucho information all over the web on this and other disc brake swaps.

It depends upon how much you want to spend on the front.

I went with the WJ outer knuckle, OTK steering and brakes and love it. I also have Explorer discs on the rear (different axle than yours) and mine stops on a dime.

Everything is possible with a little pocketbook grease.

Well if we don't have a budget on this go with the whole willwood setup for XJs... If you wanna drop well over a grand on rear discs. Of course you have to run new GM line or get a ford or chrysler axle... nevermind bad idea for you.

Anyone have any pictures of the early knuckles? Wouldn't mind a set to see if they can be adapted for different rotor and calipers as believe their caliper brackets bolt on. Hoping that maybe I could design replacement brackets.

gcurtis said:
It depends upon how much you want to spend on the front.

I went with the WJ outer knuckle, OTK steering and brakes and love it. I also have Explorer discs on the rear (different axle than yours) and mine stops on a dime.

Everything is possible with a little pocketbook grease.
Hey grant,

Did the WJ conversion affect your turning radius at all?

Kyung

it might be a bit more on the pricey side, but i just got done building a rear 44 for my wrangler. and for the disc brake conversion i went to the dealership, had them look up an 05 rubicon, and when he pulled up the picture for the brake assembly, i just told him to order everything. ran me about $500, but i also have friends who work at dealerships, so i got a little discount. if you have friends or some connections to a dealership, try that. everything was a straight bolt on and since i didn't have to mix and match, finding replacements will be easier to remember. i just as for rubicon parts.

corbinafly said:
Hey grant,

Did the WJ conversion affect your turning radius at all?

Kyung

Kyung, long time no hear!

It did affect it slightly, but nothing I notice. I can still do a u turn on most side streets without issue.

I was checking out your over the axle stuff on Socal, what all did you do?

Also, got the electric fans in and they seem to work great, even while wheeling.

Back