• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Master - Slave R&R; replace clutch too?

AvgJoe

NAXJA Forum User
1992 XJ 4.0L w/ AX15, ~145k easy miles. The slave cyclinder failed as I was pulling out of the driveway, so I'll be dropping the T-case and tranny once I get all the parts ready. Just wondering if it's advisable to replace anything else while I'm in there. Mostly highway miles, and no sign of needing a new clutch. If it's advisable to replace the clutch, does that by inference mean the pressure plate, pilot bearing, etc., as well? Rear main seal, too, for good measure? Also, while I know to stay away from the Autozone-genre of master & slave kits, any thoughts on the AC-Delco, Wagner or Raybestos? All seem significantly cheaper than Mopar. Hints like part numbers also welcome. Thanks folks!
- Joe

My advice-

Replace the clutch, scuff the flywheel (replace if gouged), get your Master/Slave from Jeep. Replace the main seal if it is leaking, if it is not....leave it alone.

HTH

Rev

Rev Den said:
Replace the main seal if it is leaking, if it is not....leave it alone.

With 145k miles on the engine, I'd replace the rear main seal anyway even if it isn't leaking because it won't be long before it does.

X2 on the clutch, since you'll have it exposed. There seems to be a consensus among the AX15 folks that the flywheel is contured from the factory (read: not flat) and it shouldn't be machined but rather replaced if not serviceable.
You're call on the RMS too. You 4.0L guys are lucky that you don't HAVE to pull the tranny to replace it, unlike us poor 2.5L saps :( I did a tranny swap last year and seized the opportunity to do it all while I had it apart on my 2.5L.
Jeff

Thanks guys. Guess I'll order a clutch disc along with the master/slave kit. It's ~$100 for OEM from allchryslerparts.com, which seems to be the cheapest. Looks like a long weekend under the XJ, but local labor rates for automitive repair are $70, so I don't mind tackling it myself, and I'm sure a search of the board will turn up some good tips on R&R of the T-case & tranny.
- Joe

AvgJoe said:
Thanks guys. Guess I'll order a clutch disc along with the master/slave kit. It's ~$100 for OEM from allchryslerparts.com, which seems to be the cheapest. Looks like a long weekend under the XJ, but local labor rates for automitive repair are $70, so I don't mind tackling it myself, and I'm sure a search of the board will turn up some good tips on R&R of the T-case & tranny.
- Joe

1st time? Plan about 6 hours.

drop the Xfer and trans as 1 unit, get a big trans jack, not the little one. Socket extensions are your friend for the top bolts.

Do a search...lots of good info on this.

Rev

drop the Xfer and trans as 1 unit,
X2. No need to unbolt the tc, the combined unit isn't that heavy. Did the same job using two 1 1/2 ton floor jacks, jackstands and wood blocks. E12 socket and 2' extensions will get those nasty 2 top bolts from inside. Everything else is cake.

Back