• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who is runnin a Front DS on sye with a big lift

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I have a porc sye sittin in my garage and a front DS from a Aw4 but I plannin on runnin a 6-6.5" lift (spacers and frankenleaf lift)to accomodate my new 35" tires
, right now Im at about 4.5" (coils and frankenleaf setup)
so I can either use some bigol bumpstops and run my driveshaft the way it is or I can lift it to 6-6.5"( I prefer this method ) but I worry that the front DS with the porc sye wont have enough slip left in it for that much lift..

and as of right now I dont have the $$ for a new DS if the stocker isnt long enough and would have to go through the trouble of removing the lift to get back on the road..

opinions???

anyone tried this with that much lift

what is your front end? if you install the PORC SYE - then you can run front wheel drive in 4 high for a little while to get you bye...

honestly - the only way to know is install everything and either put the shaft there, or measure the gap....

getting a driveline lengthend/shortened doesnt cost that much - and you *could* do it yourself....

I'm running the PORC and a front shaft at about 5-5.25" of lift in the back and it seems fine so far. By this spring I'll be going up another inch and I think it will be fine in my rig.

If he doesn't see this thread you should PM mack, he's running at 6" with the same setup as me and 35's.

Im running 6+ in both rigs and the shafts are interchangable on both.

While I currently have 4.5 inches of lift in the rear I initially had 5.5 inches. Comments below are from measurements made while lift was at 5.5". I run the PORC SYE and a front drive shaft in the rear. I measured the shaft carefully for travel available and travel required for full droop and full compression (2 inches of extended bump stop in rear). The shaft had plenty of extension and compression for full droop and more than enough travel for the axle to hit the bump stops before bottoming out the shaft. I needed just over 1/2" of travel for compression and about 3/8 for droop. There was plenty of travel left in the shaft. I later dropped the lift to 4.5 inches.

You should get about the same results but, and this is important, the position of the center pin (mine is stock), the curature of the springs, shim size and shackle length used will affect the travel needed in the shaft.

I have not heard of anyone having any trouble with the front shaft in the rear. There are posts on NAXJA with guys talking about 6 inches plus with the front shaft. Search and ye shall recieve.

I suggest you measure the shaft compressed, extended then install it and see how much travel you have left in each direction. Then jack up the jeep, let the axle droop and remeasure the shaft travel available. After that unbolt the springs from the shackles and lift the axle into the bump stops and see how much the shaft compresses. Dont forget that under actual compression the center pin will move back as the curvature in front of the spring is removed as the spring flattens so you can calculate the difference by measuring the spring and adding this to availalbe shaft travel.

By the time you have done these measurements you will know if the shaft will work or not. The most important thing is to insure that you dont run out of shaft travel under compression or BAD things will happen to your transfer case.

John

nosigma said:
While I currently have 4.5 inches of lift in the rear I initially had 5.5 inches. Comments below are from measurements made while lift was at 5.5". I run the PORC SYE and a front drive shaft in the rear. I measured the shaft carefully for travel available and travel required for full droop and full compression (2 inches of extended bump stop in rear). The shaft had plenty of extension and compression for full droop and more than enough travel for the axle to hit the bump stops before bottoming out the shaft. I needed just over 1/2" of travel for compression and about 3/8 for droop. There was plenty of travel left in the shaft. I later dropped the lift to 4.5 inches.

You should get about the same results but, and this is important, the position of the center pin (mine is stock), the curature of the springs, shim size and shackle length used will affect the travel needed in the shaft.

I have not heard of anyone having any trouble with the front shaft in the rear. There are posts on NAXJA with guys talking about 6 inches plus with the front shaft. Search and ye shall recieve.

I suggest you measure the shaft compressed, extended then install it and see how much travel you have left in each direction. Then jack up the jeep, let the axle droop and remeasure the shaft travel available. After that unbolt the springs from the shackles and lift the axle into the bump stops and see how much the shaft compresses. Dont forget that under actual compression the center pin will move back as the curvature in front of the spring is removed as the spring flattens so you can calculate the difference by measuring the spring and adding this to availalbe shaft travel.

By the time you have done these measurements you will know if the shaft will work or not. The most important thing is to insure that you dont run out of shaft travel under compression or BAD things will happen to your transfer case.

John

thanks John sound like you really studied this Mod before ya did it..

if this is the case I think Ill be OK

but I rercll some folks using this on a 3" lift..that being the case I figured that the front shaft in the back would have been to short for a 6" lift..

if your calculations are correct :laugh3:

i have about 6-1/2" lift with a hack and tap, and my front ds in the rear its working fine.

The information provided in the post above didnt come from calculations, I peformed measurments after the front shaft was installed in the rear. The front shaft was so cheap, and the reported results by others who did it so good that it was worth trying before ordering a custom shaft.

I suggest you do the install and then measure to be sure you are good to go. The worst thing that can happen is that you will be out $20 for the shaft and a couple hours labor to do the measurements. I believe, as apparently do the other respondants to this post, that you will be happy with the results.

John

you say front shaft, but many of them come in different lengths. i have a stock zj front shaft in the rear at about 5" of lift and it works fine. how much length do you have left in the shaft? if you lift it more, it might only work on the street until you can afford a new one, or take that one and get it lengthened and strengthened. i think around here it is around 100$. something to look into.

i've seen both a front XJ ds and Tom Whats-his name ds lying side by side and besides a shiny black powder coat on the TWs there aint a difference..

i've been runnin a front ds on my custom H&T fixed yoke for almost 2yrs now, my rear xj d44 is moved rearward 1" (redrilled spring center-pins) on ~6" lift.
<< it Works WELL to say the least,

> i've seen alot more $$ thrown away on sye and custom ds without as good of results.

Back