• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help needed XJ Baja Prerunner build

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
We want to modify a 2001 XJ, 6 cyl, auto, 4x4 to run Baja at speed, and survive and be comfy. Need expert opinion about selection of springs, shocks, suspension kit.

I'm leaning towards Bilstein Reservoir 7100's, but would look at all other options. Like kits made by Rubicon Express, but saw Rusty's has up to 8 inch kits, and it looks like nice stuff.

Want to run glass fenders, but want long travel as much as we can get without cutting into rear fenderwells like the Jeepspeed guys do.

Your advice is much appreciated, thanks!!

Would recommend checking out the JeepSpeed site. In my experience, the teams are more than willing to share info. It would be worth sending off some email asking your questions. They also have a message forum.

http://www.jeepspeed.com/

If you want to run baja at speed and survive and be comfy in an xj, open that wallet, max all the cards, cash in the kids college fund and pull a 2nd mortgage on the house. If you're more interested in running baja than building an xj, buy a used jeepspeed racer. You'll be dollars ahead in the long run. Ask me how I know.

Well built used xj racers running in the stock class will go for around $10,000.
(they'll probably have well over $20,000 invested)

Hey, good advice, thanks! Used Jeepspeed racers are around, but, well, you know what they look like inside.

My idea is more along the lines of keeping the XJ interior and comforts intact, and just put the best wheels,tires, shocks, springs, and suspensions parts I can find off the shelf.

Sway-a-way, Fox, King, Edelbrock and Bilstein all make good products, but I'm unsure how much spring to go with. Shocks seem to be ready to go for 3-4" lift and for 6" or 6-8" lift, so I presume, I should stick to either a 4" job or a 6" lift, right?

I figure the more travel, the more energy absorbtion, so I'm guessing 6 or 6.5" lift is the way to go. With glass fenders, and regearing, I figure 35's are the way to go, except for the loss of stopping power. Someone must sell brake upgrades, again, I'm pre-suming.

Thanks for yr advice!

talk to the guys at Deaver Spring in Santa Ana, T&J Performance in Orange and there's at least one guy at Currie Enterprises who runs in Jeepspeed.

good ideas! I've been to Deaver's and Chris at Currie showed me his Jeepspeed racer, they really make them perform. TandJ looks like a good place to do one stop shopping, and they are close and do installs too.

Thanks!

spacomponents said:
good ideas! I've been to Deaver's and Chris at Currie showed me his Jeepspeed racer, they really make them perform. TandJ looks like a good place to do one stop shopping, and they are close and do installs too.

Thanks!
Careful with T&J's though, if you have them build anything for you, make sure you know exactly what you want and how you want it done.

Back