• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brown suited Santa came today

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
And I've been a gooood boy.
Dual bolt pattern alloy 8.8 shafts.

98d8a71f.jpg

kid4lyf said:

Oh, OK. I didn't know what Moser used.

I am not that framiliar with 8.8's. Doesn't anyone make 4340 shafts? Or did you go with Moser for the dual patterns?

96XJCLASSIC said:
Oh, OK. I didn't know what Moser used.

I am not that framiliar with 8.8's. Doesn't anyone make 4340 shafts? Or did you go with Moser for the dual patterns?
Went with Moser because of their reputation in the racing industry.
From what I've read 1541 is used in rear axles due to its ability to allow a small amount of "give" without breaking. This allows it to be better with side loads (the rear axle takes the weight of the vehicle)
4340 is used in front axles because there is no side load on the shaft (it doesn't carry any vehicle load)

How much strength over stock are they advertised as-- and due to the c-clip design is there as much advantage to getting alloy shafts as there would be in a semi or full float axle?

I'm not hating by anymeans, they look sweet, I've just heard it argued that because of the c-clip design upgrading shafts wasnt as benificial. Please flame away, straighten me out I am jsut curious.

for the record I'm running a mini-spooled 8.8 so I have considered this upgrade

loser.JPG

:looser: :looser: :looser:

===
==
=

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm envious :wave:

kid4lyf said:
From what I've read 1541 is used in rear axles due to its ability to allow a small amount of "give" without breaking. This allows it to be better with side loads (the rear axle takes the weight of the vehicle)
4340 is used in front axles because there is no side load on the shaft (it doesn't carry any vehicle load)

Makes very good sense. I wasn't being an ass either, just mainly inquiring about material choices. Because I am buying alloys for my 44 in a week or so.

ROCK ON. :skull2:

My Dutchman's are nicer! :D

1541 is always recommended for semi-float applications. It has nothig to do with C-clips, as the bending moment on a shaft due to vehicle weight and impact loads is the same in any SF shaft. Since a FF shaft sees only torsional loads, you can run a through hardened (usually indicated as 4340) shaft with no worry of shattering the more brittle material.

kid4lyf said:

What was the part # for those of use who run 8.8s, If you dont mind. Thanks

CRASH said:

1541 is always recommended for semi-float applications. It has nothig to do with C-clips, as the bending moment on a shaft due to vehicle weight and impact loads is the same in any SF shaft. Since a FF shaft sees only torsional loads, you can run a through hardened (usually indicated as 4340) shaft with no worry of shattering the more brittle material.
My new 44 front inners are Dutchman's so naa na na naaa naa.

mingo said:
What was the part # for those of use who run 8.8s, If you dont mind. Thanks
Mosers are all custom made to order so there isn't really a part#.
You just call them and say 8.8, 31 spline, 5 on 5.5", ?" long.
Done in two days.

CRASH said:

I guess I will be looking for 1541 5 on 5.5 shafts for my XJ44.

Rev Den said:
Those empty hole are gonna cost you in the durability department.

:D

Rev
Yea but look at all the weight I'm saving.
Remember, my rig is all about light weight.

Rev Den said:
True.

But there is always your, shall we say, overly excessive body sway. :D

Rev
You've seen me dance?

Back