• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock tire carrier

atreyuBLUEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
what do you know about the stock tire carrier and it holding or fitting a 33?
wheeling with the stock carrier good or bad?

not a good idea!... i seen a stock tire carrier with a 32" tire rip the latch off hatch, carrier few open and.......well i'll let you guess what it looked like.

so for a 31" i think it would hold, but anything bigger, its a crap shoot.

atreyuBLUEXJ said:
what do you know about the stock tire carrier and it holding or fitting a 33?
wheeling with the stock carrier good or bad?

Do you already have the stock carrier mounted? I transplanted a stocker from a '93 to my '90, but i only carry a 31". I had to cut and reweld part of the carrier due to the fact my BS on the rim was different from stock.
P.S. I hate this mod! Plan on an alternate method of mounting the spare some day.
hth blaise

I have a stock carrier that I will be using along with a homemade rear bumper. I am reinforcing the mounting points as well as some needed reinforcement inside for the top mount. I will add some gussets on the carrier. The only part I havent worked out yet but I will as soon as I get some time is the latch, That is a weak point but I am sure it can be addressed. I am planning to carry a 33. If it does not hold up I'll have to build something else. Since I have it I might as well use it.

Back