• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Swapping

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I believe my AW4 is on its way out and i was wondering what my options are, i really really really would love to have a 5sp. How much more out of my way would i be going to do a 5sp swap if i was already gonna replace/rebuild the existing one? What about the price comparison between a rebuilt/used aw4 to doing a used/rebuilt 5sp conversion? i know people have done swaps on this board, auto to manual and manual to auto thats why i'm asking, i know the info is out there.

eric

You would have to: come up with a flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, cut a hole in the firewall to mount the pedal, replace/lengthen/shorten drivelines, get center console for 5-speed or cut it out, plug trans cooler in radiator, move t-case crossmember. Starter may or may not be the same - I'm not sure.

In other words - H U G E P R O J E C T ! ! !

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just a lot more work than you would realize. I have swapped out a 5-sp for an auto in a Ford Bronco II twice. It seems like you always run into crazy things like your reverse light plug doesn't fit the new tranny. Or your speedo cable doesn't reach the t-case anymore.

My advice to you is to fix/sell and get a factory 5-speed! Good luck to you...

Back