• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Watch the water from below!!!

project98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a lift on my Jeep, and while under the front I decided to remove the rubber engine protector or whatever it is. I searched on here and lots of people said that they have removed this without any problems.
I was leaving work yesterday morning and it was pouring the rain, I cut my wheels to the right and back out of my parking spot, I noticed then that my steering was hard and my amp meter went to zero!! Motor was running fine still so I gunned it a little what a loud squeal that was and everything went back to normal. The only thing I can conlude is that while backing up my driver front tire while cut to the right splashed water directly on the lower pulley and caused it to slip. Yes the belt is tight, first time in eight years this has happened. I am putting the rubber guard back on. Hope this can help out.

That's fairly normal behavoir for any car where water gets on the belt.

That's why they put that rubber cover there. ;)

I believe that I am the only XJ owner to have put this thing back up more than once.

Many people do remove it without issue. I believe they live in the southwest west where they do not get much rain, mud, and salt. They call the Mid West the rust belt for a reason.

I do not believe that this mud flap is very good protection but I do believe that it does help.

JAS said:
I believe that I am the only XJ owner to have put this thing back up more than once.

Many people do remove it without issue. I believe they live in the southwest west where they do not get much rain, mud, and salt. They call the Mid West the rust belt for a reason.

I do not believe that this mud flap is very good protection but I do believe that it does help.

I am in the northeast, I just drove across a stream this weekend that had water up to the bottom of the grille....no squealing and alternator is fine.

I'm in Ohio and after trashing 3 alternators in mud holes I made a sheet metal guard for the alternator. No issues since.

BA

i've run mine without for about 2 years now.

if the belt get's wet, there is always a possibility that you'll get some squeal, but i have found on mine that it's more likely to squeal if the belt is even the slightest bit loose or if it's worn. i try to get my belts as tight as possible without overdoing it, and don't get any belt squeal when wet. in my opinion the squeal is a good indicator. the belt is getting worn or loose but has more traction on the pulleys when dry. add some water and you have squeal. time to tighten or replace.

just my .02

Ive ran mine without the rubber guard for awhile and had no problems. Been through some deep mud and water, w/o problems...<knock on wood>

Back