• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with driveshaft set-up ???s

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday I went through about 30 pages of searches and went off to the U-pull yard. I got a front driveshaft off a 91 auto 4.0. Don't know what TC cause it was gone. It measures 31 fully collapsed. How long are ZJ front shafts? I have a 2000 4.0 auto 242 w/ D35. I'm trying to figure out if this will work for me. I will be putting a D44 in soon. If I do the H-n-T will it be long enough? how about a Tom Woods SYE? How much do they add/take away? I also have to get a yoke for the D44. Would it be worth it to get a u-bolt yoke. I want to set this up to run a front shaft and just carry a spare. What else will I need for this set up? Lot' of questions. Thanks in advance.

i run an xj front shaft in the azz of mine its a aw4 231j (hacked and tapped, using a customized front 231 yoke) connecting to a d44 was just right at about 32" of ds for about 5.5" lift..

the d35 is a totally different animal tho, so if you plan on waiting a while you may have to have that shaft cut to length for it, not sure..

more searching...

Thanks Lane. No one else? So does anyone know how long a ZJ shaft is. I assume one from an auto is used. With a Tom Woods hack-n- tap, do I need an adapter to put a front shaft in the rear. Should I get a u-bolt rear yoke or just throw a strap on.

Here is something else. I went to the junk yard and found some rear CV shafts on Bronco 2s. Didn't know they were smaller 1210 joints. I then found front CV shafts on Ranger and Explorer. The one on a 91 Explorer was 30 inches collapsed, so a little shorter than the XJ fronts. Does anyone know if there are any other suitable shafts. I was told late 70s broncos and blazers came with 1310 2.5 inch CV shafts, but they are probably pretty worn if you actually found one.

Back