• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting to torque IMPOSSIBLE with deformed thread nuts

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
WHY do we use these damn things on shackle and leaf spring bolts?? Using the flanged deformed thread locking nuts on your standard leaf spring/shackle bolt makes it so hard to tighten. Torque is like 115 and 80 but these nuts need 300 to 400 pounds just to get them to a point where they are snug. When you tighten, they make a horrible clicking sound as the top thread is jumping to the next one. I'm going to replace them at first chance so I can get them snug so my shackle bolts aren't loose and sloppy. Right now when I turn a corner they pop and clink like hell.

ANY tricks of the trade out there to make it easier? I did have to pop the weld nut in the uni and use a nut there.

tealcherokee said:
torquing is for engine bolts, just use the old impact gun and go wheeling, check em when u get home

Would if I could... Can't access upper shackle bolts with the impact.

The proper way to install a locking nut is:
make sure the threads are clean. Use plenty of lube.
When the nut is fully engaged, check what the running torque is and
add that to the final torque.
Thats the way aircraft bolts are done.
O

you are doing somethign wrong if a 1/2 or 5/8 bolt is requiring 3-400ft/lbs come on the lock nuts arent that bad.

Locking nuts on shackles are a good thing. You can leave them semi loose for a smoother ride and better flex without worrying about them backing off.
And what was said above, adding the torques together is the proper way.

I use these on everything.
Way, way better than lock washers.
If you really hate them use the nyloc nuts. They're easier to thread on.

kid4lyf said:
I use these on everything.
Way, way better than lock washers.
If you really hate them use the nyloc nuts. They're easier to thread on.

...if you do go with nylock... realize that they only "Lock" on the first install. If you ever take them off, they are trash (er...well, they will funciton as a non-locking nut still...)

Back