• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axel question

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
Today I discovered a new vibration in my Jeep. When I got home I jacked it up to see what I could see and discovered that I had a live front axle and the vibe was coming from the front drive shaft. I thought every thing since 1980 had some sort of axle disconnect. Is this something someone put in before I got this Jeep? I never noticed this issue before. BTW, it is a 2000 Classic built for sale in Canada, would that make a difference?

On the XJ Cherokee (and Comanche), Jeep used a vacuum disconnect on the front axle only for the models with the base level ("Command Trac") transfer case, and only until about 1991 or so. All vehicles with the optional "SelecTrac" transfer case had no disconnect, and none of the vehicles built since approximately 1991 (or whatever year they dropped it) had a disconnect. It was long gone by model year 2000.

OK, One more question, Don't you need an axel disconect to run a locker up front? won't running in 2WD cause problems with out axel disconects? Do you need to install free wheeling hubs to run a locker up front?

Yes, or install a selectable locker. Some guys run a full-time locker up front without hubs or disconnect on the axle, but most don't prefer it because of steering issues.

Back