• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joints

TLange

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a U joint that is the 5-260x on one end and the 5-297x on the other end?
I know that Spicer makes a 1310 - 1350 U joint. These are the outside retainer type. I'm looking for the inside retainer type for the front axles at the wheels.

I have a Mile Marker hub kit and broke an outer stub shaft last November. After two months of hassle with them, I finally receive my warranty replacement. Well, they sent me a shaft for the 297 U Joint. My inner shafts use the 260 U Joints. I really don't want to deal with Mile Marker again. That's why I'm looking for a U joint that will mate the two.

Thank You!

Might be a better idea to get a set of 297 inner shafts, even if get stock shafts, its still an upgrade.

--Matt

egon said:
Might be a better idea to get a set of 297 inner shafts, even if get stock shafts, its still an upgrade.

--Matt

You're probably right. I could pick a shaft out of a later model at one of the local pull your own places.

Any ABS or '94 and up will be one piece and 297/760 shafts.

--Matt

egon said:

--Matt

correction - ANY ABS Cherokee will have 297's...

Tim - im going to go to the yards in Omaha on thursday - if i see a good set of inners, ill buy them and drop them off for you.

XJ_ranger said:

Tim - im going to go to the yards in Omaha on thursday - if i see a good set of inners, ill buy them and drop them off for you.

Thank you for the offer! However, I've located one already and I'm going to pick it up during lunch today.

XJ_ranger said:

Ranger you sure about that? I have to replace a front U on my wife's 92 w/ABS (non-wheeler and stock) That'd be great as I have 2 new ones in da box!

IntrepidXJ said:
my 92 w/ ABS had 297's

both my 91 and 92 had 297's... both had ABS...

egon said:

--Matt

No. Non-ABS XJs didn't get the 297 u-joints until at least 1995. My 94 certainly didn't have them from the factory.

Back