• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj suspension. HELP!

fatguy85

NAXJA Forum User
new to the site i am, lol. well ya i own a 93 jeep xj and i wanted to run a 4.5 rough country lift with the full leafs. also wanted to put teraflex shackles out back and acos on the front. if i do this will i have to run a sye and cv or will i make it? any info thanks alot

You may be able to get by without one, but there is probably a 95% chance that you will need a sye and new driveshaft. Every Jeep has a mind of its own, so put the lift on, and then drive it to check out how bad the vibrations are. One more thing...are you really sure you want to go with a rough country lift? I had the rough country 4.5 lift on my 99 xj and it rode awful, had no flex, and so on. On my 2000 xj I put the 4.5 RE superflex on it, with new leafs and the ride difference is like night and day. Just my advice!!!

Theres really only a very slim chance you wont need a SYE. I would definately budget for one. Anymore I just consider it part of the lift kit.
You cant even count the number of new people that post on here thinking they are going to throw a 4"+ lift on a for couple hundred and then all you read about from them are problems, how this or that didnt work out.
Dont get me wrong, Im all for saving money. At the moment, Im piecing a lift together for my XJ. Im saving money by buying used and building my own, but Im also choosing my pieces very carefully based on loads of research and being in the off road Jeep community for almost 8 years.
When people on here say "SEARCH" its not intended to be rude, its intent is to open up a whole world of experience that just cant be covered in one thread. Try a few different searches, just about everything has been covered at one time or another, you just need to find it.
Welcome aboard and happy spending, (errr, i mean learning).

just do the SYE! with 3.5 to 4 is a good rule of thumb to bump up from t case drop. PORC unit sells for 200 shipped usually and it is well worth the money. do it right! this will lead to driveshaft mods for tailshaft housing matchups but well well worth the extra money.

***Welcome aboard and happy spending, (errr, i mean learning).***

I agree with the rough country lift. I myself run skyjacker and couldn't be happier, but anybody who has bought one of those rough country ebay lift kits has put it on, wheeled it, and taken it back off because they are horrible. With lift kits it's like this. You get what you pay for and you might as well spend the money up front and be happy then keep switched cheap stuff trying to find something you can use. I also agree with the RE lift. They also make good stuff. Just this weekend we installed a 4.5 trilink RE lift on a buddies sahara and it flexes out of this world. As for the SYE... getting one whether you need it or not will save driveshaft and U joint problems down the road. If you get a RE lift you can add a SYE for fairly cheap.

i also had bought the 4.5 rough country suspension off ebay and iam not very happy with the kit. the kit went on very easy but it rides like shit no flex at all. also if i had to do it over agian i would have bought the whole spring pack instead of the AAL. Really if i had to do it all over agian i would buy the skyjacker or a rubicon express kit just remember you get what you pay for...................

Back