• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 cooling question......

LazarusMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and thought and searched dome more, but need one question answered. I have found alot of info that helped firgure out the bolting in of the motor, but I was wondering if a 3 row radiator (meant to fit my MJ) would give sufficent cooling to a 350. I plan on running dual electric fans switched by a 180* temp switch with a 190* thermostat. It will not have A/C, or anything else restricting flow through the radiator. Also I plan on using a dedicated tranny fluid cooler.

Think it will be O.K.?

it should, but it really depends on the level of air flow generated by the fans, i used one out of a BMW and i only have a 2 pass and it never gets over 170 with the fan on.

as they say, you need a radiator that has a cooling area of the cubic inch motor you are running plus 50. for mine i have a 27x15 radiating area for mine (405 cubic inches of fin area). i also have a 190 thermostat, ford tarus fan and spacers to lift the rear of the hood. it still seems to run warm in the desert.

Cool, I think I will be alright with the "stock" 3 pass radiator. The fans I plan on using move alot of air. I am also going to use a heavy duty water pump.

Oh and while we are on the subject of radiators, Sella Cooling is having a blow out sale on 91-98 XJ radiators for only $53 and change. They have a website and 1-800 number with great customer service reps. They are also discounting other radiators (for other cars).

link? really considering doing the open conversion on the MJ I have, my rad is about half plugged.

ImGonnaSnap said:
as they say, you need a radiator that has a cooling area of the cubic inch motor you are running plus 50. for mine i have a 27x15 radiating area for mine (405 cubic inches of fin area). i also have a 190 thermostat, ford tarus fan and spacers to lift the rear of the hood. it still seems to run warm in the desert.

I know guys have run facotory replacement upgrade Rads and have gotten by, But if you plan on buildign up the 350 any, more horse power is more heat. Mine I plan to build up a bit and Im runnign propane so i didnt want to risk using the xj replacements. I went dual core aluminum.

27inX19in Summit rad $160ish steering box removed.
t_radiator_107.jpg

I will find the address of sella cooling for you guys at work today.

The mods that I plan on doing to the 350 are as follows: Its a center bolt 350 out of an 88 IROC and I want to put a edlebrock performer rpm intake, cam kit and an edlebrock carb. I am thinking about upgrading the ignition with a MSD high output kit (cap, rotor, coil, and pickup) mounted on a older (vacuum advance) distributor.

ahh, with an I, explians why googleing sella didn't get me anything :)
Thanks for the link.

Back