• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need wheel/tire opinion

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I was getting rubicon wheels but the guy has not called so I am keeping my Cragar soft 8 wheels and buy new 33's.

I have chrome Cragar soft 8 wheels and iI am trying to make a stupid simple decision. Should I put on the center cats or keep them off. I like the look better w/o them but I was concerned about keeping mud out of the front hubd etc.

Next I need to buy new 33x12.50's. I have the option of getting a nearly new set of 4 BFG all terrains for $250 but I really dont like them after my last set I had.

What is a good tire to get for mostly on hwy DD use but will still be good off road on weekends. Not to particular about brand names but I want to spend less than $150. I was thinking of getting a tire I used to have in a 31 that was a Terra Trac Radial A/W. Its similar to the bfg all terrain but it clears out better and is more road friendly and decent off road. Any other suggestions?

I am using Wild Country Radial TXR snow tires in a 31X12.50 for my stock wheels for winter.

I was also considering cj8rckclr's ghetto mt/r's (summit mud dawgs.) But i have never heard of them before.

thanks

-kyle

you can get short center caps. there are a few companies out there making them. the cragar caps are long, ad get dented easily when using a lug wrench and such. I put caps on y cragars to keep excess dirt out of the front hubs, and it covers up the rusty drums and hub centers. your choice. I like my mickey thompson baja radials, but can't speak to wear issues yet as they have only been on for a few weeks. they are a great traction tire, but I know some people who have run them for a while are noticing they wear fast. got mine at jegs for about 110 shipped for 31's.

The local shop suggested yokohama geolander at 2, says they will be great on road and all weather but still good enough to go wheelign on weekends.

I ran Geolanders for about 2 years. I liked them a lot. There were quiet on the road (for a mud tire). But the ones I had were no siped so the rubber compound was a bit soft. I saw that Yoko updated the design so that might have changed. I put about 30k on them before I sold them. They also worked well on the trails. I got them for about a 100 each.

Were you running the mt's? I think I am going to check in to the yoko's but any other opinions are appreciated.

personally i don't believe there is a good tire that works equally well on road and off road. basically there are real good street tires that will suck off road and there are real good off-road tires that will suck even more on road. there are tires in between, but it will be a compromise either way you go. there are people who can't stand any road noise and there are those who run 37" Boggers on the hi-way and don't mind!!! that's why i run street tires for dd, and swampers for off-roadin, but everybody's situation is different........

What I figure I would do is run 33x12.50 for summer and weekend wheeling and 31x10.50 for winter. I have also been looking in to the general grabber at 2 as well and they are cheap and I have heard they are great.

For winter I want to run the vip special wild country radial txr b/c its rated as the best snow/ plowing tire out there and smaller is better in snow. Not as cheap as the generals but will be better for winter on y stock wheels.

I am still undecided but I also do not want to swap my tires to hit the trail for two hours if I dont have to, that ans i cannot afford 3 sets of tires and wheels. I do alot of hwy driving in the summer but I wheel on weekends. I would only put wheeling tires on if it is going to be a long trip or many long trips I dont go on enough long wheeling excursions to afford a set of tires for wheeling only.

Last edited:
xtrememtbiker85 said:
I have chrome Cragar soft 8 wheels and iI am trying to make a stupid simple decision. Should I put on the center cats or keep them off. I like the look better w/o them but I was concerned about keeping mud out of the front hubd etc.
Dont worry about contaminating the front hubs. They are sealed nicely and the center cap does nothing to protect them anyway. The only thing it does is keep crap from collecting on the hub nut and cotter pin. If you like the look without caps, dont use them, wont hurt a thing.

I like my TSL radials alot I think they are one of the best off road tires thats made and they run fine on the street. When ever I would stop or start on painted cross walks in the rain it was a little fun but once I sipped the the center lugs I run them all year and the set I have now have over 15k on them and they are wearing fine. I rotate with every oil change.

What was that I didn't here you........... are they loud, maybe a little, lets just say there is no point in spending big bucks on a stereo it would be wasted money.

Back