• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Roof Brace Sagging

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For a long time now the horizontal front brace on the inside of my XJ's roof (above the headliner) has been sagging. You can see where it was originally attached with that black tar lookin crap. What can I do to fix it? I'm sure there is some way, would I maybe just scrape the old stuff off and put new on or....
Really appreciate any help guys,
Collin

Is the brace metal? It isn't tacked (welded) on? Sagging like how, from luggage or a tractor tire on the roof? If it's what I'm thinking it is, can you put some blocking on the floor where the sub-frame is, build bridging and use a bottle jack and a wooden column and gently put pressure at various spots to extend it back up, then tack it? Or is it something else entirely?

Mine kinda does the same thing in my 90 XJ but it's not that bad, the front is down a little and the rear is nice & tight. How far is yours sagging? It's never bothered me.

ajpulley said:
Is the brace metal? It isn't tacked (welded) on? Sagging like how, from luggage or a tractor tire on the roof? If it's what I'm thinking it is, can you put some blocking on the floor where the sub-frame is, build bridging and use a bottle jack and a wooden column and gently put pressure at various spots to extend it back up, then tack it? Or is it something else entirely?
Yeah the brace is metal. It doesnt look like it was ever welded on. Don't have roof rack of any kind and no weight up there either. Well yeah I mean I suppose I would have to hold it with something I just don't know what to use to retack it to the roof that will hold. It seems like its under a ton of pressure when I push it up flush with the roof.
Zoro said:
Mine kinda does the same thing in my 90 XJ but it's not that bad, the front is down a little and the rear is nice & tight. How far is yours sagging? It's never bothered me.
Well it's enough to where when you're drying it off with a towel you can push it in. I don't know I'd just like to have it back up.

Last edited:
BigBlackHeep said:
Yeah the brace is metal. It doesnt look like it was ever welded on. Don't have roof rack of any kind and no weight up there either. Well yeah I mean I suppose I would have to hold it with something I just don't know what to use to retack it to the roof that will hold. It seems like its under a ton of pressure when I push it up flush with the roof.

Well it's enough to where when you're drying it off with a towel you can push it in. I don't know I'd just like to have it back up.
I guess you're running without a headliner as well, welcome to the 'club' :)

Zoro said:
I guess you're running without a headliner as well, welcome to the 'club' :)
No I'm not I just remember this from when I've had my headliner down multiple times with wiring in the OHC and stuff. Glad to hear you got that done too Zoro.

BigBlackHeep said:
No I'm not I just remember this from when I've had my headliner down multiple times with wiring in the OHC and stuff. Glad to hear you got that done too Zoro.
Thanx man

Anyone else have ideas on this?

not to sure but would one of the "liquid nails" formulas work? not sure if they make one for metal though.

Back