• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shaft bearings

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
case in point: D44 rear

the bearing is pressed on the shaft and the race is presed into the housing end. it is common practice to carry a spare shaft with a bearing alreay pressed on, but what is the REAL WORLD compatability of 2 seperate bearing components?? are they actually machined and matched at the factory? or are they all produced within a certain spec and considered interchangable? a trail spare will always work in a pinch but i wouldnt consider them a permenant replacement. by what about NEW shafts andf bearings? my specific reason for asking this is that i am rebuilding my D44 with all new everything. if i have $$ left over after the project i'll spring for some Alloy shafts. for the sake of longevity i will likely just replace the entire bearing and race assembly but is that realistic or over-kill since the bearing i'm pulling out will be brand new with very few miles on it. do they wear inand create their own pattern? i assume its like gears, you dont replace just a rin gor a pinion because they are a set.
compatabiltiy of 2 different bearings on the same race?

They are machined to meet a given tolerance.

Many part stores sell bearings and races seperately and many times those bearings and races are made by different companies although they still fit and work fine together.

As long as you have the bearing on your spare shaft you can slide it into your housing and use your old race. Now, if the race is badly worn for some reason then you won't get good life out of your new bearing but if the race is in good condition the bearing will last a long time.

Not to mention it takes 45 seconds and very little force to remove and re-install a bearing race. I have new bearings/races on my spare shafts.. the races are there mainly to protect the bearings while in storage and getting bumped around in the parts box.. while i probably wont change the races out to swap shafts, i can do so with the tools i already carry in under a minute.

Hell, my Dana 44 races practically fall out when I pull the shafts out. If not , I can pull them out by hand. Who said Dana had good tolerances? At least I haven't had any problems with them spinning. Knock-Knock.
Brett

bretto said:
Hell, my Dana 44 races practically fall out when I pull the shafts out. If not , I can pull them out by hand. Who said Dana had good tolerances? At least I haven't had any problems with them spinning. Knock-Knock.
Brett

Indeed. I use anything to pry like a screwdriver or chisle against the inside surface and tap at it with a small hammer and they pop right out. They are too easy to change not to do it most of the time. Granted, there are times I don't want to go through the trouble (like when the jeeps off camber with a broken shaft and being held in place by a winch and a few big friends) but i have only seen others in that situation.

Of course, I've never broken a 44 shaft.. so we'll see what happens when the day comes.

thanks guys! if i can swap the race i will. i wasnt sure how tight they fit and internal pullers are one of the few things i do not have.

When the seal fails the bearing must be removed to replace it and to do that the bearing must be(usually )destroyed.Replacements come as a set anyway.Get all you replacements the same brand and just interchange them.
Wayne

Back