• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust gasket quick fix

jrgilchrist

NAXJA Forum User
98 sport headman headers and gasket, My exhaust gasket has a hole in it after the the 6th cylinder on the back rounded side. I have a gasket on it's way but until it gets here is it possible to squeze some seal or something in there so i can drive to work 30 miles round trip or am i allright leaving it for the time being till i can replace it next weekend? Also how dose this happen? it looks like the gasket just seperated, the bolts were not tight so thats what im blameing.

Just a guess, but when the bolts came loose, some of the gasket stuck on the manifold and some on the engine.
An exhaust manifold leak really won't cause much of a problem, unless it's pushing hot gases onto something that will melt. I've wrapped a leak with aluminum foil to deflect the gases away from sensitive stuff. I've stuffed a leak or crack with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil and a hose clamp work pretty good for sealing a crack on the tubing (for a while). Check the hot gases are blowing away from sensitive stuff. Check the wiring (CPS etc.) in the rear of the motor. Copper foil works better, but it's harder to find.
A good way to tell what's going on, in a cold climate, is to take a look early in the morning, right after starting the motor. You can see the leaking exhaust gases, just like your breath on a cold morning. A flashlight and a welders mirror comes in handy.
Header bolts are notorious for backing out. Non ferrous bolts seem to stay put better. I always use a dab of Loc Tite, not really what it was designed for, it seems to get kind of crispy, but seems to work OK.

Last edited:
im looking for a quick temp fix it looks like the gasket has pulled apart and made a gap. I have found the leak,if i jam some tin foil in there will that fix it. Is there any sealant i could use to squeeze in the hole maybe use both???

Back