• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Rear 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 Brake Question

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be changing my XJ rear 44 to 5 on 5.5 in the next few weeks to match my front axle. I am going to run dual pattern alloy shafts and keep the stock drum brake setup. What would you recommend to do as far as the brake drums? I am not going to swap out to discs, I know if would solve my problem and they would be better but I have too many other things going on to dive into that swap.
Redrill the drums to the larger pattern? Try to find a ford drum that fits? Something else??

"Jeepin Jason" had his brake drums redrilled when he ran 5 on 5.5:
DCP00708.jpg

I installed superior shafts in my rear 44 when I got my front 44 also. Shafts are drilled for both patterns. I used one axle before I put the studs in to mark the pattern on the drum, and drilled them myself. I think I drilled to 9/16. Studs are 1/2". Made up for errors on my part. Been working for just under 2 years now, no problems.

DaffyXJ said:
I installed superior shafts in my rear 44 when I got my front 44 also. Shafts are drilled for both patterns. I used one axle before I put the studs in to mark the pattern on the drum, and drilled them myself. I think I drilled to 9/16. Studs are 1/2". Made up for errors on my part. Been working for just under 2 years now, no problems.

Excellent. I like hearing cheap and easy solutions to my problems. :sunshine: Which doesn't happen often.

Thanks, Daffy.

DaffyXJ said:

I did the same thing without any problems.

DaffyXJ said:

That's what I did.

Cornfed-87XJ said:
I believe on Warns website it says to use the drums from an AMC 20, when converting to the 5 X 5.5 pattern.

Humm. That is interesting. Thanks. Off to search........

I will more than likely just buy a good drill bit and go to work though, but it is worth looking into.

Back