• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling

LAcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone this is my very first post, and here's my question to you vets.

I have a 96 Cherokee 4.0 Automatic, and everything is fine with it, but today while traveling down a fire road with some ruts and mud holes (nothing big really) the Jeep stalled on me when I hit these ruts. This happened twice, and I was a bit perplexed as to what could cause something like this. The Jeep is completely stock, and I was not in 4WD. I previously had a 5 Speed TJ, and obviously this was never an issue.

Anyone have any Idea if this is a common occurence? Is my suspension too stiff? Perhaps I need to switch the transmission from Drive to 3 or maybe 2-1? I was going about 8-10 MPH when this occured... not fast at all.

Thanks for all your help!

I'd probably start troubleshooting by grabbing most any connector I could find and shaking it around some with the motor idling. I'd be kind of careful doing it with the ignition cables, you might find a bad coil wire the hard way. Maybe check the relay and see if they are plugged in all the way. I push down on the tops of the relays every time I'm in the box and usually manage to seat a couple a little deeper than they were.
Take a good look at any cable anywhere near the manifold to see if it's been cooked. They sometimes melt and periodically short against the manifold.

I checked the all wires visible, distributor, alt, and what not. Also I didn't see any cooked wires near the maniford either. Everything under the hood seems fine... truck idles up to spec, and all readings oil pressure, temp are where they should be...

Somehow the shock of these ruts or potholes is doing something somewhere... any other ideas?

Might be a fuel delivery issue. Was the tank near empty? (fuel sloshing away from the pickup?) Check fuel pump relay and connections. Just throwing out ideas. Good luck........Hans

loose battery? (bumps up and hits the hood, stalling the alt) Bad firewall connection? CPS cable melting to the exhaust on the back by the head? CRap in the tank/fuel filter sturring up from the bounces and stopping the flow? Water in the bottom of the tank?

Back