• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattle from hatch area, only when idling in gear

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't had a chance to go take a look at it, i will tomorrow. But i get this rapid "thud, thud, thud" kind of rattle from in the back, but only idling in gear.......never going down the road or over bumps, and never while idling in "park."

Has any one else experienced this?? search didn't come up with anything, but i figured it had something to do with the hatch

tailpipe mount by the tank or check that the interior trim is secured tightly to the hatch. When the plastic tree pegs start to come loose on my 90 it vibrates against the hatch when idling.

I had a rattler hatch that turned out to be a bad latch....the rivets that hold the lock mech to the plate that bolts to the hatch get loose with age.

Mine does the same thing so I dropped the gas tank and added some Armaflex inulating tape to the tank to insulate the tank from the body but it did not help. I do know that my rattle is in the center of the cargo area and about 6" behind the rear seat. I'm at a loss as to why it rattles and my wife is sick of it to the point of selling it. Has anyone else had experience with this damned rattle?

I fixed my rattle about a month ago. It was the exhaust hanger bushing to the rear of the muffler. The top hole in the bushing had stretched and would vibrate against the body hanger. No more rattle!
Thanks for the help y'all!

:party:

Back