• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

puegot problem (long)

MENEZES

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched with really no luck at all other than 2nd is hard to shift into with a puegot. Ive got an 89 with the Puegot 5 speed. Almost 200,000 with NO problems shifting, not even into 2nd on cold mornings. I changed the gear oil the other day with 75-90 and decided to add about 25% of lucas oil to that mix. The first night i drove, it shifted fine into every gear, very smooth. The other morning driving to school it became very very hard to shift into 2nd and harder to shift into the rest of gears. At a very slow speed or stop there is no problem moving through the gears. I was wondering if this lucas oil additive made the gear oil WAY too thick for the tranny to shift as easily as it is supposed to and a quick change and only 75-90 will bring it back. Like i said, no hard shifting problems at all in any gear prior to this change. thanks for your help.

There are a lot of threads here about the proper oil for transmissions. I think the consensus is to use a 75/90 GL3 oil. GL3 because the extreme pressure additives (primarily sulfur) in GL5 eat away at synchros.

My Peugeot tramsmission has really weak synchros from age. The 2-3 upshift always grinds unless done very carefully, and the 3-2 downshift is usually really stiff and slow to engage, especially slow when cold. I have found that different oil causes different behavior. I tried plain old Walmart 80-90 and got real good 2-3 shifts but almost impossible 3-2 and 1-2 shifts. So I put in Chevron RPM 75W synthetic gear oil and got better shifts into 2nd but again with the grind going into 3rd (though not as bad as it was with what was in the Jeep when I bought it). Some say that Peugeot called for motor oil in their transmissions. Seems plausible to me, I can't think of a reason it would really need any extreme pressure additives and the synchros might grab a little better without them.

I'm not sure what the Lucas ol additive is you were putting in but if it's that thick stuff like power punch I don't think I'd use it.

Besides the Peugeot tranny we also have that crappy internal clutch slave cylinder. The volume of the master cylinder is barely enough to release the clutch all the way so bleeding it can help.

when I had one of those trannys not too long ago in my jeep I used a quart of mobile 1 synthetic motor oil and the rest 80/90 and it seemed to shift just fine ohh that reminds me ....anybody want a free puegot tranny???? a lil noisy but when I took it out I found the throwout bearing was shot and I think it was tha cause....

Not another one...

Now, if you have an AX15 of NV3550 you want to let go of, I'd like to hear about it!

I've been using Sta-Lube GL4 (75W-90, I think) in all gear oil applications, and haven't had too much trouble. Granted, I'm now on my third transmission - but that's more due to my driving style (and the understrength transmission I'm saddled with...) than due to synchroniser failure or anything like that. I've got to FA the second one (it's still in the garage,) but the first one had munched spots in 1/2/R that I could account for. The second one had an annoying habit of slipping out of 1st gear under power - I replaced it when it slipped out of first gear while parked, and rolled into someone... Damn mechanical failures - I swapped it that week-end (which was the week-end before I got hit - first week-end of November. It's the last thing I remember doing before the accident...)

I believe the BA-10/5 was also used in the Peugeot 505, so it's designed for a smaller engine, lighter weight, and (probably) a more conservative driving style. NOT a light truck transmission, by any means.

My advice? Keep a couple spares around until you can afford to replace the thing properly...

5-90

Maybe the pug is at the end of its life... I know there is alot of pug hating on here and i know the xmission is "weak" but it gave you a good life... the price to replace it with a reman is high, but instead of putting in an AISIN why not just get another pug reman instead of doing the conversion

Last edited:
Because the conversion is supposed to be relatively easy, the parts to reman it are spendy, and because it's not a transmission I'd use in any of my vehicles in the first place - because it's just not strong enough to stand up to my driving in an unloaded vehicle, let alone one loaded or towing...

5-90

do like I did and buy a rolled jeep for cheap and yank the aw4 and all related parts and put them in .....best mod I had done until suspension mods......best 8 hours Ive invested in the old girl so far auto trans and 3.55s but I wouldnt have wanted to do it in anything other that a fully equipped shop

Dave in Eugene said:
There are a lot of threads here about the proper oil for transmissions. I think the consensus is to use a 75/90 GL3 oil. GL3 because the extreme pressure additives (primarily sulfur) in GL5 eat away at synchros.

Besides the Peugeot tranny we also have that crappy internal clutch slave cylinder. The volume of the master cylinder is barely enough to release the clutch all the way so bleeding it can help.

First the main difference between GL-5 and GL-3 is anti-shear properties. GL-5 is primarily used in high shear applications like rear axles. GL-3 is for lighter duty.

The BA/10 and AX-15 up until 96 or so the factory recommended lubricant was GL-5 after that it was changed to GL-3 and they say it can be used in older units. There were complaints over the years of hard shifting when cold which may improve by using GL-3. My general opinion is to stick with what is recommended.

Mike R

majic_tech said:
do like I did and buy a rolled jeep for cheap and yank the aw4 and all related parts and put them in .....best mod I had done until suspension mods......best 8 hours Ive invested in the old girl so far auto trans and 3.55s but I wouldnt have wanted to do it in anything other that a fully equipped shop

If it weren't for the fact that I prefer driving a stick, I'd have done that with parts from the 87 in my back yard a couple years ago...

I just learned to drive on a stick, and I feel better when I've got the extra pedal under my feet...

5-90

A bit off topic, but I just changed to Redline MT-90 this weekend in my 96 AX-15 with 93k on it and it is like a whole new tranny. All the shifts are smoother expecially 1-2 when it is cold.

well, i bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and changed gear oil, again, and it shifts just like it did when new, well almost. I guess my mix of lucas oil and 75w-90 was wayyyy to thick for that tranny. its all good now tho, thanks for all your replys.

Not to be an ass, but as a longtime Peugeot car owner it'd probably help to spell the name of the manufacturer correctly when searching.

Having said that, the BA10/5 gearbox is a decent transmission - just not in Jeeps. Some V6-engined 505s used this 'box, but - French car bigot that I am - in Jeeps I'd recommend replacing it with the AX-15. The BA10/5 is just not up to handling the use that it has to put up with in XJs, and the AX-15 is a lot more long-lived.

Just my $0.02.

5-90 said:
Keep a couple spares around until you can afford to replace the thing properly...

5-90

A Couple? Seems to me one spare tranny ought to be enough, but maybe not. As for me, I do plan on upgrading soon, that's really the only thing that's in bad shape on my '87 (except for some bad spots in the clear coat). And I'm kinda torn between going with the AW4 or the AX15. I think I'd be happier with the automatic in the end but it seems like a lot more work. Could be wrong though. A fully equipped shop is no problem for me. Just need to stumble onto the needed parts or the money to get them (gong rate about $550 either way in my neighborhood, a wreck maybe cheaper). Gotta plow through all the writeups and figure it out I suppose.

Back