• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget Mufflers, Let's Talk About Shocks!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Alright kids, just a quick one here, how long a shock you think I should get for about 4.5 - 5.5" of lift. Keep in mind that I plan to get eye to eye shocks (don't know the right term:confused:), using BPE's and those nifty shaf killing devices up front.

Thanks!
Sequoia

shocks.... lenght..... well, there is only one good answer... get the lift on, and do the length test by articulating. Then measure droop and compress length and then run off to a friendly local shop that stocks them so that you don't have too much of a wait time on them :D

Kejtar

I had Rusty's crappy shocks on, just replaced them with Old Man EMU ones. Here are their lengths:

Front N35L : Compressed length = 15,5" or 39.4 cm Extended length = 26,6" or 67,57 cm

Rear N36L : Compressed length = 14,6" or 37,08 cm Extended length = 24,4" or 61,97 cm

I think that these lengths are pretty good, maybe one more inch of extended length would be better, but I haven't yet reached their max., so I am happy with them.

Please note that my XJ is standing at almost 6" of lift front and rear.

SV1CEC said:
I had Rusty's crappy shocks on, just replaced them with Old Man EMU ones.

What was wrong with Rusty's shocks? I just ordered one of his lifts and his shocks w/ it so I guess its too late to be asking, but just curious. I had heard they rode smooth and were real soft off-road.

K9Cop said:
What was wrong with Rusty's shocks? I just ordered one of his lifts and his shocks w/ it so I guess its too late to be asking, but just curious. I had heard they rode smooth and were real soft off-road.

Well, here is the story:

When I got his lift back in October '02, I also got his shocks. During installation, I noticed that if you grab the shock near the top of its body (where the shaft enters the body) and shake it back and forth, there was movement, as if the shaft is not properly mounted inside the body. Obviously I noticed that on one shock and of course I checked all of them. That first one had much more play than the rest.

Judging this to be "not good", I called Rusty and reported my findings. He send me one new shock, as a guarantee item.

During the next months, one by one, the shocks developped that same play at the place where the shaft enters into the body. Around last May, I noticed that sometimes my right front shock could be seen as not being in line. I mean that you could see the shaft not being in line with the body, but at an angle, like below:

/ <-- shaft
| <-- body

Judging this to also be bad, and given the fact that my other front one was also leaking a bit (and had play at the junction area), I called Rusty and complained. No matter what I said, he insisted that all shocks do that and that this play is normal. When I mentionned that I never had such a problem with the Bilsteins I use on my other truck, he said that this is a different technology.

By now, I knew that my initial lift selection was a big mistake, so I didn't want to argue about the damn shocks. I wanted them replaced by something decent, so I asked him to send me four new Bilsteins. Mind you, my truck sits at almost 6" and Greece is not the most 4x4-oriented country, so finding shocks locally was out of the question.

So Rusty sends me the Bilsteins (together with some nuts for his adjustable upper control arms which have developped some play also, and some friction pads for the rear springs, which have broken), only they never arrived. I spend one and a half month waiting for the Bilsteins, which never arrived, and I could do nothing about it, because Rusty had elected to use a non-traceable shipment method, so we had no idea where the package were.

After one and a half month, I got fed up so I ordered a set of OldMan EMU. When they arrived, and we removed the old shocks, you could push their shafts down, by just laying your finger on them.

Keep in mind that in those months (October 2002 until June 2003) my XJ has seen very limited off-road use, due to family reasons.

I sincerely hope that you have better luck with Rusty's products than I had. No one who pays his good money for a product should receive the hasle I had with his lift kit.

Rgds

P.S. If you want more details about the problems I had with his lift kit, check the site at my signature.

I have rusty's shocks and I know two others with his shocks also, all three are very happy with them in our applications (all xj's).

I think that OME also makes a wonderful shock and reasonably soft.

Bilsteins are also great (more money) but are much stiffer than the OME or Rusty's.

Just my experience,
Michael

I'm running Trailmaster SSV's made for a full size Bronco. They have eye mounts on both ends and work pretty good with the 4.5" lift. I think they could be a touch longer in the front now that I have JKS trac bar.

In a week and a half I'll report back about Rubicon Express's new Monotubes:D

You never reported back and i've been holding my breath .. how did those monotubes work out? I think my bilstiens are dying and its time to find something new.

Last I heard Tozovr sold his XJ and was into Rovers or something like that? It has been a few years since I talked to him though.

Back