• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer fluid problem.

Motornoggin

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that my 89 XJ likes to purge all the washer fluid when I am out wheeling. Anytime I get pointed up a steep hill, the fluid gravity feeds itself through the nozzles. Is this a pump problem or what?

Motornoggin said:
It seems that my 89 XJ likes to purge all the washer fluid when I am out wheeling. Anytime I get pointed up a steep hill, the fluid gravity feeds itself through the nozzles. Is this a pump problem or what?
AFAIK it's not a problem but it's like that by design. Solutions include:

1. not filling the washer bottle
2. a clamp on the hose
3. checkvalve requiring some pressure to push the fluid through

Kejtar said:
AFAIK it's not a problem but it's like that by design. Solutions include:

1. not filling the washer bottle
2. a clamp on the hose
3. checkvalve requiring some pressure to push the fluid through

I like the idea of the check valve. The problem with not filling it or clamping the hose is that I actually need to use it when I am out wheeling. We have lots of mud here in OR.

On my 89 one of the lines (cannot remember if it is front or rear but am leaning toward rear) has a check valve on it stock. So if you can find a junker you can pull off the check valve and put it on the line lacking one. Just a thought.

K

katarn444 said:
On my 89 one of the lines (cannot remember if it is front or rear but am leaning toward rear) has a check valve on it stock. So if you can find a junker you can pull off the check valve and put it on the line lacking one. Just a thought.

K

Would the stock check valve keeep the fluid from draining back into the bottle?

I think so, but that is not going to help you. It will still flow out the nozzle.
I guess I did not think enough about that before I posted. I do not know what to tell you?

K

katarn444 said:
I think so, but that is not going to help you. It will still flow out the nozzle.
I guess I did not think enough about that before I posted. I do not know what to tell you?

K
I am not sure what to do either. I may end up running the hose through the firewall and installing a valve.

I think it is the check valve in the pump itself. I have seen the fluid run out of my rear wiper on really steep inclines but generally only the fluid thats in the hose that goes up and thru the roof above the headliner.. I think a new pump is like $12 at a parts store..

RichP said:
I think it is the check valve in the pump itself. I have seen the fluid run out of my rear wiper on really steep inclines but generally only the fluid thats in the hose that goes up and thru the roof above the headliner.. I think a new pump is like $12 at a parts store..
Maybe I will try that. Thanks.

Back