• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearing/Shaft Problem

BrianG

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to get the drivers side shaft in...got the pass. side in fine, all bolted in. Slid the drivers side in, went in fine, spun smooth, went to install retaining nuts, got them on, tightened two slightly, then did the third, then the fourth, but the shaft wouldnt turn?! I tried with all my might, but it wouldnt...I un did the nuts, and it spun fine. I did this about 4-5 times, and it did the same thing. and I am not over tightening them at all...they still need alot more turning to be 100% tight

I have no idea what is wrong..has anyone ever heard of this problem? bearing not set properly or something?

Ok, more info...when I tighten the nuts, and the shaft cant spin, the backing plate and bracket still have 1/4" of play they can move quite a bit...I thought maybe the bearing wasnt pressed on far enough, but I compared it to another new shaft I have and they match...Is it possible I have a bad bearing?

Also, how much of the seal should go into the axle tube?

Last edited:
No I got the 44 from a yard, and was replacing the seals/bearings. But I did have to get a 'new' shaft for the driver's side, because the flange (where the wheel studs go in) was warped. The passenger side went in fine...now the drivers side is being a pain. and this is a D44, no c-clips.

Back