• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount torque?

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some poly motor mounts for my '97 4.0L, however my hayne's manual doesn't list a torque for the bolts. Does anyone know what they should be toqued down to, and if I should use some type of bolt locking compound?

The use of a threadlocker, anti-seize, or some other compound to prevent metal-to-metal contact (and potential seizure) is generally indicated. If you use Loc-Tite, you don't need to do anything differently, but if you use anti-seize, you'll want to lower installation torque by about half (to account for the lubricity of the compound.) Underbody bolts are generally easier to change with LocTite than without...

Torque figures below are for the 2.5L I4, but I'd suspect that the 4.0 would be similar (cast iron block...)
Retaining bolt (bracket to block) - 30 pound-feet
Through bolt - 48 pound-feet
Retaining bold (bracket to frame) - 30 pound-feet

Granted, I usually use LocTite 242 and "German torque" (gutentite,) which has always served me well. Make sure bolts and holes are clean prior to reassembly - if I had listed sizes, I'd give them to you, so you could replace the bolt (but I haven't got them handy. I've got to work on that...)

5-90

The only time I use loctite is when it is specifically called for in the FSM.

Any other time, even when not specified, I use high temp anti-sieze.

LocTite won't hurt anything - but have several grades for various applications (I use #222, #242, and #272 as a general rule.)

If you're going to use never-seez, MAKE SURE TO LOWER INSTALLATION TORQUE BY HALF! If you don't, you actually run a risk of snapping the bolt, and you've got better than half chances of deforming it.

"Bolt Torque" is actually used (as an estimate) to measure preload, or "stretch" of a bolt on installation. This is measured by the resistance to turning that a bolt experiences as the threads get wedged together.

Decreasing the friction between the surfaces will actually INCREASE both compressive loads and bolt deformation on installation - and it may increase the bolt deformation beyond the "elastic limit" - the point at which the metal will recover its original shape. This results in permanent bolt deformation, and premature failure.

Now, if the torque spec calls for some sort of lubricant, USE THAT LUBRICANT. If it calls for "clean, dry" threads, here are the modification factors:

LocTite - None
Engine Oil - lower by a third
Never-Seez - lower by half

My apologies to anyone who already knows this, and I'm just trying to make sure those of you who DON'T know this already don't go breaking parts or hardware...

5-90

Back