• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another cooling issue

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
OK. SO I'm a bit frustrated with the MJ at the moment.
87 4x4 4.0 MT
I can't get this thing to run an indicated 210 on the guage.
This all started when I did a cooling system flush and fill and put in a new stant T-stat. This was a few weeks after I got the MJ, in oct.
I've been troubleshooting off anf on.
Today I put in a new temperature sender and new t-stat. 195* stamped right on it. This time I drilled the vet holes in the t-stat. I'm pretty sure there's no air in the head. I've "burped" it through the CTS hole a few times, alwasy has fluid in the hole. I also have a prestone flush and fill in the upper heater hose, no air there either. The temp guage climbs as normal to the first has mark, I figure that's about 160*. Then the guage goes down, that's when the t-stat opens, I feel the upper rad hose get hot real fast. then it stays about 1/8th inch below the 160 mark. It stays there. Now I also took the gauge cluster apart and cleaned the gauge faces. I think I might have moved the temp guage needle. Is it indexed? Can anyone take a pic of the guage motor off and after it's sat overnight? I don't hae a non-contact thermo, I put my multimeter thermo on the t-stat housing and got about 170. Heat blows at about 110 from the center vent.
Someone point me in the right direction here, I'm at a loss.

It could be the gauge? I found my gauge was off about 30 degree's. I found this out by checking it with a mechanical gauge.

One way to check if the thermostat opens at 195 is to pull it and check it with a pot on the stove. with a meat thermometer start heating up the water and see what temp the thermostat opens. If it opens around 195 the gauge is probably off.

Or just get a mechanical gauge and plug it in to the CTS bung.

One more question does the electric fan ever kick on? They should kick on at 220 or somewhere there abouts.

I just got used to mine, and the electric fan will still kick on when it should.

By the way I know my 4.0 calls for a 210 degree thermostat.

Visit us at www.pa-wheeling.com A site that has a lot to offer.

did test the t-stat I puled out, it seems to be working correctly. SO I did all that for nought. I'm really begining to think it's the guage. I'l have to go and junkyard one to test it against. I'll get a mechanical one for testing purposes.
I don't have an electric fan, so I can't use that as a measure. I know that the ECU seems to be going into closed loop, so I think the motor is heating up properly, I'm just not getting the right indication.

Back