• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid tow point question

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok im going to go on a snow wheelin trip and this will be my first organized "trip" with camping. i need tow points so i bought a clevis ring and reciever shackle so i got the rear taken care of. but this is about the front, i dont have front tow hooks but i do have a bull bar bolted to my bumper will that be sutable to pull on in the snow?

Shomsky462 said:
i dont have front tow hooks but i do have a bull bar bolted to my bumper will that be sutable to pull on in the snow?

More likely than not, no. It's probably welded to your bumper, but even if it's bolted on expect it to tear out if any pulling force is applied to it.

If you can't get tow hooks in time, see about grabbing a front hitch and putting a receiver in it; your local U-Haul or similar may have them in stock. Quite frankly, speaking as someone with front hooks, I'm looking forward to the day I replace the bumper for one with an integral receiver as they're bent from some relatively mild pulls.

ok yeah just wondering. but no its not welded. never heard of that before, a hitch in front without a HD bumper. thanks for the help

If you need a tow from the front, loop the strap around the axle tube
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER PULL BY THE AXLES.

am i the only one who sees something really wrong with that??? i have actually seen a axle get pulled out from under a truck. i've also seen to many pictures and heard to many stories of that happening. come on.....i thought that was common knowledge not to pull by the axle.

get proper front recovery points. either the factory or aftermarket front towhook brackets or buy a aftermarket bumper with built in recovery points.

BUT DO NOT PULL BY THE AXLE.

you said you have a rear hitch with a D-ring. worst comes worst they'll have to pull you out the way you came in.

scorpio_vette said:
NEVER PULL BY THE AXLES. am i the only one who sees something really wrong with that???
No, you're not. Pulling by the axle is a great way to do so much damage to your suspension that the cost of some REAL tow points would be peanuts in comparison.

Get a receiver hitch, or get some proper brackets and tow hooks.

Back