• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Wiring

just installed my harness tonight on my 98. let me tell you, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! even with my sealed beam headlights, they are WAY brighter than before, and the light is WHITE, no more yellow headlights.

Click the sponsor link to JohnJohn at BIGOffroad - he's got wiring kits for ya.

Thanks guys, I picked up the most recent Mopar ACTION and they had an article where they were trying to get more light out of their street/strip/autocross (no that last one's not a joke!) '69 Road Runner. They were sourcing info, advice, and product from Daniel Stern Lighting for the car and I was just wondering if anybody has tried it and what you have used for wires, plugs, relays, and even lights. Dad was peeking under then hood when I was doing an oil change thursday and thinks it'll be pretty straightforward. This issue also had a bolt on power upgrade article for all mopars, but they used a '00 CHerokee Sport for the victim.

I bought an H4 harness on ebay for $9.50+s&h, it made a significant difference and I'm still running the OEM type sealed beams. Entire install took 45 minutes, here are a few pics-

I ran it in front of the radiator and zip-tied it down low and out of sight-
391620b8.jpg

P1030586.jpg

I originally thought this would be a good ground, it's NOT!
3f2b1386.jpg

I moved my grounds to here and the light became far brighter, much better ground, but I did scrape away some of the paint from under there the wire sits-
P1030599.jpg

00078811.jpg

This is not an exact diagram, I actually wired it to the PDC, but it should help you.

Here is how I wired mine. I used all 10AWG wire, except for the wires coming from the stock plugs to trigger the relay.
I bought all my connectors at www.comagination.com and I am running Autozone cheapy relays, but I bought a few extra just in-case.

I wired mine for 4 relays, so I if I lose a relay, I only lose 1 high-beam, or one low-beam. Its just safer this way.
Some people also use auto-reset circuit brakers instead of fuses, but I didnt see a need for my application.

This works great with the stock sealed beam lights, im now debating wether or not I want to spend the extra cash for H4 conversions.

Gojeep said:

I did Gojeep's loom upgrade as well. Very good write-up.

Made a huge difference! I'm running the sealed beam Silverstars right now. Very pleased.

Thanks Gojeep, for the info!

http://jeepin.com/features/ipf/index.asp

Try that link, I put the IPF kit in my cherokee as well as the H4 bulb conversion from JCWhitney. I run 130/100 watt H4 bulbs (shhh dont tell the cops) and they are PHENOMINAL! Interestingly enough the low beams are set so that they are not much brighter than stock, but the HB's are kick ass. Even if you run stock lamps, the brightness will improve because the relay routes clean batt voltage to feed the lamps instead of numerous voltage drops thru the factory wiring. Remember that every plug or connection that the voltage has to go through will ause a minimum of 1/10 volt drop.

RIP

Does anyone know if the headlight wiring upgrade is of any real difference on an 01 XJ? (i.e. is the wiring already good enough, this just problem for the older models?) Thnx

kristoffers said:
Does anyone know if the headlight wiring upgrade is of any real difference on an 01 XJ? (i.e. is the wiring already good enough, this just problem for the older models?) Thnx
No stock wiring is EVER good enough. They are made on a cost saving budget where the bare minimum to run stock lights without over heating the wire is used!

Gojeep said:
No stock wiring is EVER good enough. They are made on a cost saving budget where the bare minimum to run stock lights without over heating the wire is used!

Here at work they use the smallest wiring possible. Then they wonder why lamps get sent back under warranty for bad wiring harnesses. JIM.

Get a VOM and test the voltage at the headlight plug with the engine idling. If it is above 12.5 volts then a harness upgrade will not make any noticeable difference for you. On my '01 the voltage at the headlight was 12.9 volts so spending time and money on a harness would be pointless.

This doesn't mean that ALL 2001's will be the same. I've heard of some that measured less that 12.0 volts at the headlight plug. But a tester is only, like, $10 so it is dumb not to get one and test your own connections before spending the time and money on a harness upgrade.

kristoffers said:
I upgraded my 01 with the IPF harness and it made and significant difference-plus remember you can now safely upgrade the bulbs without worrying about burning something up.

Alright, I ordered the big offroad harness.. for $60, by the time I buy good wire, plugs, and relays, I'm not saving THAT much money doing it myself. I'll let you all know how much of a difference it makes on mine.

I did the Gojeep Hd harness as well. I had a lot of what was needed already, so it only cost about $30 to do mine. I ran 4 relays as well.

Made a big difference in the Silverstars, and it's theorized that having the correct voltage to them will make them last longer. I think I'm going on nearly a year now no issues.

Back