• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

went hill climbing today and had shutoff problems

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
I was just trying out my new suspension and was climbing a straight up hill very steep and scary. As I am going up the jeep died and I rolled down, due to losing power everything. As long as I was going slow it would do this on every steep hill!?! What gives?!?!? What sensor could this be. Experts please help. ------Kyle

86s are but 87s are first year of fuel injection. Oh and I have plenty of fuel in gas tank, in case anyone suggests that.:rolleyes:

I had the same type of problem over the weekend. I was 3/4 of the way to the top of a very long and steep hill climb, after loosing traction and digging four holes I started to loose power. The engine would barely idle and when I gave it the gas I would load up and/or backfire and die. After letting it sit for a few minutes so I could regroup my thoughts and figure out a game plan, I started it up again to back down, very scarey, remember very LONG and STEEP, started fine, what a relief, I backed down, thank God for the 4to1 and manual box.
What gives, had nearly a full tank of fuel, and fuel injection. I could hear the valve train clattering so I'm sure it was thirsting for oil, but would/could that cause it to act the way it did?

Steep hills cause oil starvation and brake power losage for me. When it died, how did it do so, did it just out right quit, or kinda sputter, sputter like it ran out of fuel? When you say you had plenty of gas, how much is plenty? If I remember right the pickup for the fuel pump is to the forward part of the tank...

It just died, no sputtering no noises just dead and loss of power equip. I had 3/4 of a tank or little less.---Kyle

If it just staright died I wouldn't think fuel, that'll generally sputter. Take a look underneth the hook and just check the tightness of all electrical connections, you might have something just loose enough to slip out...dunno :confused:

Sequoia

Back