• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

receiver hitch

mo-muddy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey does anyone know if I can use a receiver hitch off of a Grand Cherokee on my XJ? I am wanting buy one cheap and there seem to be more availible(?) for the grand than for the XJ. My XJ is a 93. Thanks

2nd the boneyard. I scored a Reese for $15-20 last year, all it needed was a little sanding and a coat of paint.

Call around to the local salvage yards - I'd bet you'd score pretty fast.

Rob

Double check, but I think when I was looking at the Reese universal Class 3 hitch in Wal-Mart the same one listed for the XJ was also listed for the ZJ. I think the ZJ also takes the same nut strips, so I suspect a ZJ hitch should work.

A WJ hitch, of course, is totally different.

Hey guys thanks for the input. I will check the local junkyards, but most of them around here are butt holes and price their stuff like it was new. They will not even let you go look, they pull it themselves. I guess I am stuck with ebay. Thanks again.

I just checked the box for the Reese universal fit hitch, and the same one does fit both the XJ and the ZJ. However, the universal hitch is adjustable for width, so that's not a guarantee the frame rails are the same distance apart.

There was, however, a recent thread about gas tank skids in which I think I recall someone posting that a ZJ skid will fit the '97 and newer XJs with the plastic gas tanks. If this is correct, that's another strong hint that the frame rails are the same distance apart and the same hitch should also fit.

Back