• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Axles To Use?

BUCKET

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the rear axles in my dana 44 and was wondering if u had a choice would u use alloy or supieroir chromo shafts, or is there somebody better than these aftermarket products.I do moderate wheelin dusy,swamp lake,rubicon.

thanks

alloy usa has thier axles drilled
for 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5..
just in case you change bolt patterns later on..

Yukons are definitly cheaper than both of those manufacturers

BUCKET said:
wow yeah that really says it wow hey thanks for the input i run out and do that thanks bub could've done it without you.

I thought I was being nice tbh. Learn to use your search button and don't ask stupid questions, then you might not get stupid answers.

BUCKET said:
wow yeah that really says it wow hey thanks for the input i run out and do that thanks bub could've done it without you.

I have a few suggestions, but with a response such as this one, I think I will keep them to myself and let you figure it out on your own, bub.

squat for answers and misinformed...
Superior does not make a CrMo rear D44 axle. only alloy USA makes them for now.
Superior D44's are made from 1541h alloy, about 20-25% stronger than OEM 1040 alloy.
AlloyUSA shafts are 4140 CrMo alloy steel. about 35% stronger than OEM 1040.
33 spline shafts are made from 1541h in most cases. but AU might have them in 4140 CrMo.
most front shafts are made from 4340 which is a nickle CrMo or some other metal. those are about 40% stronger than OEM and hold up exeptionally well to torque but not as well to bending stresses.

ok, back to the question at hand. I am not sure about current availability on the 33 spline shafts. but the 30 spline Alloy USA's should hold up well to 35"s. beyond that I wouldn't push a D44 rear axle. anything can break anywere... I just rebuild a Dana 35 that twisted the splines on the pinion shaft without breaking. go figure!

Rawbrown said:
squat for answers and misinformed...
Superior does not make a CrMo rear D44 axle. only alloy USA makes them for now.
Superior D44's are made from 1541h alloy, about 20-25% stronger than OEM 1040 alloy.

Actually this is incorrect. The Superior evolution series shafts are 4340 Chromolly material
http://www.superioraxle.com/pdffolder/2006finala.pdf (Page 6)

Kevlar said:
You could always do the 33 spline super 44 :D
BUCKET said:
Hey, brilliant way to get to your, what 14th post?
Insult one of the cornerstones of naxja, a man so revered here that the mere mention of the name, "kevlar", gives many of us wood.
Jackass.

Last edited:
hey would ya look at that! Superior finally added CrMo's to there catalog. I apologize for the SPOBI. My info was based on 2005. I found Alloy USA shafts to be less expensive than Superior.
DaffyXJ said:
Actually this is incorrect. The Superior evolution series shafts are 4340 Chromolly material
http://www.superioraxle.com/pdffolder/2006finala.pdf (Page 6)

Rawbrown said:
Yup, good reading but a little out of date. 2004

yeah - the axle cut shapes and where the neckdown should be and all that is still good info...

and if you pick up on the fact that Bill is makign fun of Yukon - its just that might more interesting...

thanks for all the help and sorry if i pissed any god gurus in this forum next time i'll do better search before ask a stupid question.

kid4lyf said:
Hey, brilliant way to get to your, what 14th post?
Insult one of the cornerstones of naxja, a man so revered here that the mere mention of the name, "kevlar", gives many of us wood.
Jackass.

I don't care how sarcastic you're being, that is definite sig material :D

might have confused kevlar with ketjar... :wave:
Kevlar said:
I don't care how sarcastic you're being, that is definite sig material :D

Gees folks after all this I doubt we will see buckets name in red any time soon.

Its not like asking a searchable question is the equivalant of deflowering your daughter. A polite answer along with suggesting a search might be a bit more appropriate. Buckets answser (post 3) while being a bit rough in tone was not IMHO all that bad.

How about we all take a deep breath, drink a beer and not be quite so sensitive.

If you feel the need to flame me use a pm.

John

Back