• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed no-slip 8.25

ridge

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a no-slip in my Jeep last weekend. The installation was pretty straight forward. Actually I didn't see a lot of ways to really screw it up...

I have a 2001 Cherokee with an 8.25 rear. Used 75/140 Mobile 1 syn.

The operation:
It seems to be funtioning correctly, but I thought maybe someone could verify to their own install. Turning corners I hear a single muffled thud from the rear left or right (depending on which way I turn). Sometimes it is a little loud but most of the time I have to have the radio off and listen for it. I'd say it's louder when the diff's cold and gets better as it warms up.

If I get on it around a turn the inside tire will chirp. Yesterday we had some rain and I floored it from a stop light (going straight). Both wheels were locked and there was no wheel spin :).

I have yet to test off-road, but hopefully it'll work good. It is definately a little squirrely.

i don't have the 8.25, but i do have a no-slip in the rear, and it took a few hundred miles to quiet down. probably pretty normal sounds on yours also.

Straight from the User's Manual:

Optimum operation of the Powertrax No-Slip Traction system is achieved after a nominal 50-mile break in period. The engagement and disengagement characteristics of the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System may exhibit slight roughness immediately after installation. Normal use of the vehicle is recommended during the break in period, after which operation of the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System will be even smoother and quieter.

Don't make it a habit of getting on it around a turn or flooring it from a stop light. :) Try to coast while turning and accelerate smoothly from a light.

And check your tire pressure often. Uneven pressure will result in more noise.

Depending upon how much you drive your XJ... The noises will quiet after about a week or so.... Mine quieted after a couple weeks.
I ran 80W/90 Redline synthetic gearlube for the 3 years I had mine and the synthetic actually seems to allow for smoother operation than DINO oil....

Charles

IH8RDS said:
I have gotten used to mine. It still catches me off guard occasionally

I used Lucas Synthetic 75/90 Gear Oil w/ 30% Lucas Oil Stabilizer, PennZoil Red Synthetic Assembly Grease. I have no clicks or clunks, none whatsoever.
I LOVE my No-Slip.

Back