• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Start: NSS, CPS, or SHORT

TORGENG

NAXJA Forum User
My '89 XJ wouldn't crank when I tried to start it last night (had been running fine before then). I also noticed that the clock and radio presets had been reset to defaults. I searched on here and read about the NSS issue, but wiggling the shifter or putting in neutral didn't help, and I tried jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver but all I got was a huge spark and no cranking (scared the crap outta me, does it normally spark like that?). Also I noticeed that the engine temp guage is at zero with the key in run position, but jumps quickly to max when I turn to crank position. That is not normal is it? Because of this I am suspecting that I've got a short between the pos wire to the starter and the wire to the engine temp sending unit. Anyone have any better ideas?

Have you checked all of the ground wires? Check the ground cable from the battery to the block. There may be enough contact for small stuff but the battery draws alot of amps.

Well, it was the NSS after all. I tried the screwdriver thing again and it worked. (It helps to have light to work in) I pulled the NSS and cleaned and greased it, started right up. I guess it's normal to have the engine temp guage run up to max when cranking, or at least normal for mine. :)

TORGENG said:
Well, it was the NSS after all. I tried the screwdriver thing again and it worked. (It helps to have light to work in) I pulled the NSS and cleaned and greased it, started right up. I guess it's normal to have the engine temp guage run up to max when cranking, or at least normal for mine. :)
I don't know why it's ok now but it was not your NSS. You lost power is why the Clock and radio reset.
You don't have a short either, most likly cause is a bad ground and it's going to do it again.

You're right, the radio reset because of a bad battery connection. The wires on the pos terminal were loose. I cleaned that up and reconnected and still no start, so then I went on to the NSS. I had two problems apparently (so far).

Put in new cables (or cut the ends off and replace them) and clean your posts! Moisture between the battery post and cable end makes a grey "paste" that is lead oxide and a VERY poor power conductor! (once it dries, it conducts power again temporarily)
It has been known to do a number of bad things:
No start condition (as you already know)
Poor lighting (due to the alternator carrying a far greater load)
Power spikes when you hit bumps (causing excessive burnt bulbs and even a blown alternator or computer!)
Then there is the electric quirks that drive you crazy!

Back