• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Fox Shocks?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i don't really see a lot of you running the Fox shocks on here. i read the review on Pirate 4x4 about one of the guys running those front and rear. I was wondering how hard of a job is it to convert to this type of suspension. it seems as though the cost of 4 of these shocks would be comparable to a decent lift. these apparently allow for up to 8 inches of lift.

I really haven't done that much reading up on these, but want to know if this is a good option for my XJ. i don't even know if these types of shocks are compatible with the XJ's. I am still new to the world of 4x4, well kind of, so be easy on me, my expertise is Hondas. yea flame all you want, go ahead.

thanks guys.

Last edited:
you still have to buy a lift dude

mn_xj said:
you still have to buy a lift dude
the ones i was looking at apparently act as a spring also. they use the oil and the compressed nitrogen. as i understood it, and i may be wrong, but when the shock compresses, the nitrogen is compressed into the oil and the pressure causes it to push back, acting as a spring. the guy said that the shocks basically take the place of the springs also. If i'm wrong then let me know.

this is how BillaVista, who wrote the article on pirate 4x4 put it, "The Airshox are both a high quality, rebuildable, re-valvable shock absorber and a means of suspending the vehicle in one package. That is, they are a "shock, and a "spring" in one. The shock portion works exactly the same as virtually any other rebuildable monotube shock absorber and so I will cover it only briefly before moving on to the "air spring" portion that makes the Airshox, Airshox!" he then goes on to explain the rest of it. here's the link:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html

now don't take my question as inexperience or inability to work on cars and such, but rather as " is this a feasable option for an XJ?" i hve experiance working on cars and stuff since my early teens, so i understand how all this works, but i don't know enough yet about the XJ's to know if this is a good idea on them.

these would not replace the many other components needed for a lift such as control arms, panhard, steering, driveshaft, brakelines, etc. The only thing they would replace is the springs and shocks, for which they are not cheaper. Also the fab work needed is high; the front will need some sort of shock hoops built, likely into the engine compartment, and the rear will also need shock hoops likely built into the rear cargo area. The rear will also need an entire link suspension built since you're starting out with leaf springs.

I think this is one of those cases of, if you have to ask, then the answer is no.

But if they come with cool stickers, well that's worth it then!
fox-logo.jpg

i love my fox shocks...

tracer1.jpg

:D

Lawn Cher' said:
But if they come with cool stickers, well that's worth it then!
fox-logo.jpg

I got one of those sewn on my Fox socks.

kubtastic said:
full-suspension is on the way out. Now it's single-speed and 29" tires.
nah... SS is just a fad. ;)
nice ride though.

:cheers:

Back