• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problems

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i posted this in the modified discussion and got no response, so here i am a week later and still have the same problem.

On my 2000 XJ Sport, 3 inch lift, 193000 miles, my brakes are causing me to slide through intersections. If i only apply my brakes lightly they work fine, if i apply enough pressure to come to a complete stop they act like they grab, and then it feels like my ABS kicks in. Ive taken both front and rear brakes apart and they look perfectly fine, im the only owner and this jeep has been taken care of incredibly, so i cant figure this one out...

StylerG said:
Ok i posted this in the modified discussion and got no response, so here i am a week later and still have the same problem.

On my 2000 XJ Sport, 3 inch lift, 193000 miles, my brakes are causing me to slide through intersections. If i only apply my brakes lightly they work fine, if i apply enough pressure to come to a complete stop they act like they grab, and then it feels like my ABS kicks in. Ive taken both front and rear brakes apart and they look perfectly fine, im the only owner and this jeep has been taken care of incredibly, so i cant figure this one out...

This could be because the rears are not clean or adjusted right. You inspected the wheel cylinders too?

Mike R

i just had one of my rear axles replaced so everything on the rear has been cleaned and checked out professionally, and then by me...

StylerG said:
i just had one of my rear axles replaced so everything on the rear has been cleaned and checked out professionally, and then by me...

Did you have them adjust the rear brakes? What size tires and kind of pads?

Mike R

tires are 235/75's and brakes are some from the factory parts dealer, replaced them pretty recently too (all) and even have new rotors on the front, i was wondering if it could be an ABS sensor, or a master cylinder going out?

StylerG said:
tires are 235/75's and brakes are some from the factory parts dealer, replaced them pretty recently too (all) and even have new rotors on the front, i was wondering if it could be an ABS sensor, or a master cylinder going out?

Does the pedal stay firm?

Mike R

did they replace the axle with a tone wheel for the abs, and if so does it have the same amount of teeth as the other rear axle. that can throw off the abs system if it thinks one wheel is moving faster than the other. aso proper brake adjustment ic necessary.

i dont know about the tone for the ABS, but i had it professionally done so i would imagine they did it right, and they replaced with a new factory part replacement axle, so it is the same...

the you need the sensor gap adjusted, measuring it with a feeler gauge isnt always accurate. it needs to be done with a digital volt meter set on the AC voltage scale. then back probe the wires at the connectors. you should have the same reading for left as you do on the right at the same speeds.

StylerG said:
i dont know about the tone for the ABS, but i had it professionally done so i would imagine they did it right, and they replaced with a new factory part replacement axle, so it is the same...

After the shaft was replaced was this when the problem started?

Mike R

I'd make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted and check/adjust the air gap on the rear speed sensors as jneary suggested.

Mike R

thanks, i will probably be taking it to a shop to do that, unless there is something i can do in my driveway...my garage and all tools lie within my parents house 100 miles away

Back