• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 41!!! need new alternator??

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i recently noticed a check engine light and had time to check it this morning. turns out its #41, which is alternator field test. i started driving to work and noticed that i only had 9 volts. i then went to turn around and it popped to 14. i recently went through a large water hole and am wondering if my alternator went. i am running a optima redtop and have not had any problems with the jeep other than the code. is there a fuse that is blown or do i need a new alternator? THANKS
-chris

Since you mention having a "code," I'm going to assume you don't have RENIX, and are either OBD-I (1991-1995) or OBD-II (1996-2001.) You all know what happens when you ass-u-me, right? It's always helpful to post your year and such EVERY time you ask a tech question - not all of us are going to remember, and it makes things easier for us...

Now that I've got that out of the way...

There is/are one/two fuzes in your PDC that protect the rest of the vehicle from oversupply by the alternator - as I recall, they're 60A MAXI fuzes (they look like regular ATO plastic "blade" fuzes, but they're about four times the size,) and you can check them quickly with a test light or a cheap meter - with the engine idling, simply check for supply voltage at both sides of the fuze (that's what the little exposed metal tabs are for.) If you get about the same thing on both sides (light equally, or withing .05 volts on both sides,) than it should not be a problem.

Once you check that fuze, go down to the alternator, connect to the "output" post, and make sure that's giving with full voltage - it may be a "cable fault" of some variety (broken strands, contaminated cable, what-have-you.) While you're about it, check both ends of that cable for corrosion on the lug and under the screw.

If you've recently submerged anything electrical, you really should clean the parts that are not sealed. Blow out the alternator with contact cleaner then compressed air (or let it dry before you try to fire it up,) and take apart the connections, clean them, and reassemble. A little Ox-Gard won't go amiss either - check your hardware store for that stuff, in the electrical section.

Servicing all the connections will also provide an opportunity to visually inspect and clean them - don't waste it. Don't neglect the regulator connections on the back, since they will affect output directly as well. Clean/inspect/protect.

Since the ND alternator you use isnt' internally regulated, that reduces the amount of electronics invovled (the regulator is part of the PDC,) but there are rectifier diodes that might still get cooked - that's always going to be part of the alternator.

Those are tests I'd go through to see if I need a new alternator. However, I'm REALLY leery of getting them from chain stores - since they pay about $3 each for them, and when I worked at Kragen's I failed about 2/3 of them right out of the box. You can take your chances there (you just might need that lifetime warranty...) or you can click the link in my sig - I make cables, and I've got a site up for a shop that does great alternators and starters. You'll have to deal with Rod directly if you need anything - but you'll also be able to see if he can do anything for conditions you anticipate that are "other than normal" - but I've soaked his units pretty good without any trouble.

5-90

5-90 said:
Since the ND alternator you use isnt' internally regulated, that reduces the amount of electronics invovled (the regulator is part of the PDC,) but there are rectifier diodes that might still get cooked - that's always going to be part of the alternator.

5-90

He meant the regulator is in the PCM (engine controller on 91-up models).

The short of it is the alternator doesn't like water/mud much but sometimes it can be flushed out if there is crap in it, worst case you need a new one. Also the charging system (PCM) reads battery voltage so it could cause a charging problem if the battery is going south.

Mike R

XgeekstarX said:
i get a code 41 almost every time i go out riding. those bottom dragging alternators don't like mud and water.

Yup that's why they moved them up top on other models.

Mike R

Back