• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will an old factory gas skid fit on new XJ

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I got a old factory gas tank skid plate out of the u-pull yard. I have a 2000 with the plastic tank. I'm not too worried about dents, but I wouldn't want a puncture. I know the factory skid is flimsy but figured it would work for $10. May I could reinforce it. I haven't had a chance to see if it will fit. Will I have to modify it? Drill other holes? Anyone know what is different about old and new tank skids?

stick it up there and find out. The only differance would be in the shape since the bolt pattern is the same (it uses the hitch mounting points)

The older style does not have the wrap around heat shield for the front right corner of the tank. Other than that I don't know of much diff. I have modified 2 97+ skids to fit on post 96 XJ's, so it shouldn't be to much trouble to make it work. JIM.

It didn't look that different. I have the heat shield on my Jeep and the skid would help that out more. Thanks.

When I put the skid on my 97 (rip) I had to remove the sheet metal shield that was on it. The skid would not fit with it on. JIM.

The older (pre-97?) skids will not fit 97+ XJs, the gas tanks are diff shapes and the older skid hits the tank in several places, I was thinking I could modify one but was told it is way too much work to make it worth it.

I see so many 97+ XJs with skids, I think I am going to steal one someday, most owners would never notice it was gone.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
The older (pre-97?) skids will not fit 97+ XJs, the gas tanks are diff shapes and the older skid hits the tank in several places, I was thinking I could modify one but was told it is way too much work to make it worth it.

I see so many 97+ XJs with skids, I think I am going to steal one someday, most owners would never notice it was gone.

The tank does seem a little different shape. Well I'm still going to get it up and see. Maybe I can just beat it in to submision. I'll let you know

Back