• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacume bottle relocation?

perez said:
were and how can i replocate my vacume bottle?

I mounted mine in the engine compartment next to the battery. Should have no problems.

Open the hood and look for a spot that it will fit in. :confused:

If you are running a cone filter the ball will mount where the old airbox was...same holes same screws if you still have them. Just get some vacuum hose at Napa and run it where you want. Keep it some place safe where is will not get damaged.

will

What yearis youyr rig? On my '89 the bottle fit perfectly under the coolant expansion tank. I drilled some holes in the bracket for the coolant tank and mounted it to the underside. The vac hoses run right by there so all I had to do was shorten them up and reconnect them. It was so simple I don't know why they didn't do that at the factory.

cLAYH said:
What yearis youyr rig? On my '89 the bottle fit perfectly under the coolant expansion tank. I drilled some holes in the bracket for the coolant tank and mounted it to the underside. The vac hoses run right by there so all I had to do was shorten them up and reconnect them. It was so simple I don't know why they didn't do that at the factory.
You answered your own question...it's simple

cLAYH said:

That's what I did.

213DSC000681-med.JPG

warpigxj said:
That's where I had mine for a long time. Until I added factory cruise control...that's where the CC actuator goes. So I moved the vacuum canister back behind my winch bumper.

so do you need the canister. When I put on my after market bumper the mech. @ the dealer said that I could just plug the line and it would be fine. But then again I should know better then to trust the dealer.

Yup, you need the vacuum canister. Among other uses, it operates the HVAC doors and flap-thingys. The dealer mech is smoking crack...but that's par for the course.

OK, finally got it relocated and a picture. Mind you since mine is a 98 it's smaller and I have the fender support:
bumperfab017.jpg

cLAYH said:

It also fits perfectly, using the coolant bottle strap, on the coolant bottle shelf if you've converted your 87-90 closed system to the later open system.

GirlScout1 said:
OK, finally got it relocated and a picture. Mind you since mine is a 98 it's smaller and I have the fender support:
bumperfab017.jpg
Thanks for the pic, this is where I am going to go with mine when the bumper goes on.

Is is possible to trade out the larger vacuum canister of the 96- XJ with the 97+ ball? Would there be poblems with vacuum levels?

Back